I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.

Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.

i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.

Setup Instructions

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Another small improvement added - you can now update the external gyro's gain directly from your transmitter's channel 6 (the tuning knob) if you set the TUNE value to 13 via the AP_MissionPlanner.  Hopefully this will save some messing around with wires.

Wiki page also updated. 

• Developer

I have finally added in some code to trunk (ver .50) which scales the throttle from the pilot to match the collective pitch limits.  This fixes issue #246.  I've also written the explanation of the issue below.  I haven't updated the APMissionPlanner yet to dispense this fix yet.

-----------------------------------------

In the CLI's setup, heli function (or in the AP_MissionPlanner) users set up the range of motion of the helicopter's swash plate in order to stop servo binding.

In cases where a small range is set-up (i.e. say only 20% of the possible servo travel), the user must also modify their radio channel 3 end points to match this limited range.  If they don't do this, they find the collective pitch control is overly sensitive and they're only able to use a limited range of the control stick.  Setting the endpoints however has the side effect that the range of inputs that the APM sees from the receiver is also limited and so the user can't perform certain functions like "arm motors" or adjust the altitude when in ALT_HOLD or LOITER.

We should modify the code so that the full range of values from the radio channel 3 are accepted but then scaled down to move the swash/collective appropriately.

• Just for clarity, you gguys all got your ftdi drivers from here, right?: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

• Anyone tested .49? We have a problem with the yaw. The heli spins. We saw that the yaw doesn't compensate when in flight mode but then in CLI the yaw seems to be working. Inshort, the motors is in reversed mode. Any idea?

we are using gy401, with gyro gain of 1680. Would the gyro not working?

• Well I have asked Craig at udrones.com if I can send the Oilpan back for a replacement as I cannot connect via the ftdi even after trying on 3 different systems and computers :( Gotta be a lemon :(

• Hey,

I have tried switching computers and diff operating systems but I am having real problems connecting via the ftdi usb thing to configure the AC2 setup, (and I have installed the ftdi drivers every which way) but whenever I plug in the AC2 it keeps saying unjknown device, or device is not working!! is there any other way I can get access  to the ftdi or configuration setup without having to go through the usb ???

• My posts never stick! (at least in chrome)

As I was researching autopilot systems I looked into the DJI unit, and they do offer a ground station capable unit for $10K, which is silly really to pay when we have Arducopter!

• Hi all been working away for a few weeks, but should be back testing.

Its amazing how fast this thread moves if you leave it for a couple of weeks.

Can anyone bring me up to speed with latest builds, issues etc.

I'm going to fly at the drone zone meet on the 30th.

• Saw something interesting today.

http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/rc/aceone/aceone_09.html

The Ace One requires you to input the coordinates of the IMU from the CG of the craft.  I assume it must be in order to account for the effect of rotational acceleration on the accelerometers.  Do we have anything like that?

Rosauro Photography - DJI ACE ONE Review
    rosaurophotography.com : Photographs, panoramic images, VR Head Reviews
  • Hi Guys,

I did edit and modify the original post but it didn't save.. Here's the latest build of my AC2 - and I am making use of a redundant control system (which will be routed through a flybarless controller and eCCPM mixer) to fall back on should any AC2 testing go awry!

3692290799?profile=original

3692290912?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity