I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.

Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.

i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.

Setup Instructions

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Decided to change the compass mount. I copied the idea from a guy on the 2.6 discussion, but didnt use a DJI part, made my own from 2 futaba servo wheels and a small piece of carbon i had in my little workshop. 

Just tried it against a good traditional compass and my Iphone, the heading is really good now. I had been having all sorts of weird compass readings.

Here are a couple of pics, the mount is well clear of the blades, i intend to make a small enclosure around the mag.

3692453436?profile=original

3692453183?profile=original

• Would like to know if its possible to use the Loiter Radius in MP on my APM in Heli mode, as this would stop the helicopter from constantly hunting to a position that is always moving,

I.E. If i set it to a 2meter radius, as soon as it is within the area the APM would revert to stabilise only, it would just generally wander around I think this would reduce the hunting that the heli always does.

Any thoughts on this ?

• Hi guys,

I still come here once in a while to follow up your progress. Though I can never find this thread unless I get an email with the link referring to this page.

Could someone please let me know how to get here from the forum page please?

I checked every single thread under "Ardu Copter 2.x (Traditional Heli)" but it is not there. 

Where is this thread located?

Thanks

• With the latest release, do i still need to trim the APM using the channel 7 config, or can i now use the trims on my TX, 

Been away for a while, but am going to meet up with Martin and have a go at trying to get somewhere close to getting Loiter working as the ALT hold is now pretty well nailed.

How is everyone?

• FINALLY got my APM2 on my T-Rex 600E, and flew a pack! I have a couple of questions for anyone who can offer advice.

First, if I leave all settings default, there is WAY too much cyclic action. Full stick will bind servos pretty quick. I've reduced the maximum pitch and roll in the Heli Setup from 4500 to 3000. Will this affect stabilization performance? How else should cyclic input be adjusted?

On that same idea, I reduced the stabilization P term which reduced cyclic travel a bit, but obviously that does make things less responsive when flying.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now I'm just glad to have that beast in the air again :)

Cheers

• or you can use the mission planner GCS which automatically logs all flights and save in the Mission planner program log sub folder.

• Ok, I tried it today. It did not seem the loiter or RTL will hold the heli to one fix place, I could see after I made the switch, the heli will go up, then will move away from where it was but I have no idea if it had a location in mind... it moved too far away I had to bail out and regain manual control.

Also, the .gpx log files downloaded has almost no content but a single line:

<gpx><trk><trkseg /></trk></gpx>

and the .kmz files nid not contain flight pathes, google earth was not able to display any gps coordinates. I did make sure I wait for the blue light on gps to stop flashing.

What should I adjust then?

• In the meantime what is the status of using it on the traditional heli? Is it mutual enough that I can rely on it to RTL and autoland? I am trying to determine if I should use APM on a quad or heli.

Personally I prefer heli, because I like to look and flying style of helicopters.

• hi randy, i am able to hover align 450 with APM 2. yaw is not responding with default PID. can u suggest a rate yaw PID value to  start with . i am using external gyro with gain value as 1350. can u also suggets a gain value to start with.

• Developer

There's another discussion here started by a guy called Wesley who is trying to get his APM2 to control his yaw without an external gyro.

Robert, I know you're pretty busy but could you help him out with a starting point for PIDs that you use?

This reply was deleted.

Activity