Learning the Propeller SPIN language

As a current using of PBASIC and about 14 approx other languages as I am a software developer by profession. How difficult is it to pick up the SPIN language? Is it more object oriented based?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• James,

I have found SPIN to be straigh forward to learn and quite capable. I refer to the manual all the time for syntax and usage examples, but mostly I ask on the Parallax forums. They are REAL programmers with incredible experience and a fantastic community to share. I have learned the most from the members online.

There are many many libraries that people have posted. These 'legos' are easily fitted together into usable programs.

IO suggest that you download the latest Propeller Tool so you can read through some SPIN code with highlighting and easy library access. Its free at Parallax's site

Also, I recommend the Proto board - its about $25 and has what you need to get started. You'll also need the USB prop clip dongle for another $30 or so for programming, and the accessory kit is a good package ($15) with header pins and parts for video out. If soldering isn't your thing, the development board is ~$139 and has this preinstalled.

Keep us posted!
    Paul
    www.pnav.net
  • James,
    so far from what I can tell spin looks inline with a little bit of C, and python. I'm still going through it though, but that's what it looks like to me. It's wierd, but it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.
  • 100KM
    well its actualy two languages , spin & assembly. spin is object oriented and i find it easy , but the assembly language runs much much faster and has way more "power" but requires a good understanding of the mechanics of processers. assembly is of course directly translateable into binary.
This reply was deleted.

Activity