Replies

• Roger that, thanks for the information!
  • I have seen some small light weight MPEG-4 video compressors that will take HD and compress it for use over a broadband network. Sending your compressed video by 54Mb 'g' or 'n' Wifi may work, but then with all that compression you may have better over all picture quality using standard cameras and 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz video link. Plus with all the weight of HD camera, MPEG compressor, Wifi, etc. you would be better off recording in the air just like Paul mentioned.
    -dave
  • Thank you both very much for the information. Can you recommend an off the shelf camera/wireless set up? The reason being I have as a part of my profession flown sub-sea ROVs. I am interested in transposing that tele-presence on to a small electric helicopter.
  • I have done a bit of video production work and Chris is right - HD consumes a LOT of bandwidth. 1080i is about 20megabits per second for just the video (heavily compressed) and 1.5gbps uncompressed! Presently there are a HD wireless transmitter/receivers, but these are meant for TV broadcasters and they are not small! If you watched the Tour de France you could see the wireless setups on the motorcycle camera crews. You could also see the breakup in the video feeds...

instead I use a small Canon HD camera (TX1 720p) on the plane that down converts to NTSC in real time for my video transmitter. That way I get compatibility for flight time and HD for posterity.

Paul
  • 3D Robotics
    Not that I know of. The only ways I'm aware of to get better than regular def is to use software to upscale video streams by interpolating between frames. Even if there were a camera, sending HD data wirelessly is a gigabit task.
This reply was deleted.

Activity