UAV convertable model aircraft

Hello,I like to get into hobby UAVs and I wanted to buy an electric park flyer or something bigger that I can convert into an UAV.What are the considerations when selecting an aircraft. Obviously lift capacity is important, but I also want something that wont break, as part of the learning process I want to control the aircraft myself just like a hobby rc aircraft.Best Regards.-C.B.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CB

I'm in the same position as you - and after quite a bit of time spent think through the options I have setteled on a model called the CULARIS.

My only concern regards the Easy Star was its size, and how well it would be able to handle windy conditions. The CULARIS I have been assured by most folk is little different to learn to fly than an Easy Star - which is acknowldged as an easy airfrma eto learn to fly with - but, its a littl eheavier, a little bigger, with a little beter peformance, and all things considered should offer more capability all around - especialy when it comes to the time when you want to start loading it up with FPV/camera and/or UAV/auto-pilot type hardware.

That said, the Easy Star seems to be able to carry a fair amount as well from what I have seen.

In any event - you want something that is easy to fly, will take a bashing and repair easily (as most foam type models are) and wil be able to carry all the electronci gear you have mind. Both the Easy Star and the Cularis fit that bill well.

Patrick
  • I know this is an OLD thread but when I first signed up I said "I hoped I can help out", so here goes.
    Well on a RC plane forum we were discussing the statistics for our planes and how they differed in flight characteristics (actually in the MQ9 thread). This also allowed further mathematics to take place to show how much each model could be added to with other things like FPV, autopilot or just a sensor array.
    This is a collection of statistics and not a bible. It gives numbers for knowledge not wisdom so if you break something it aint my fault.
    CG is your friend
  • I'm just starting out too, and have been taking a very good look towards the hobby-lobby telemaster senior. It has an almost 8-foot wingspan (detachable halves for transport) and can fly alot of weight. Best of all it doesn't take much of an engine to fly, a .40 or even electric will work just fine.

They sell an ARF version for about $200, see arf version

They also sell a gigantic 12 foot wingspan version, see here for $349.

If you look on you-tube, there are several videos of these flying, including one where the telemaster lands on one wheel (albeit with a little damage to the underside when the landing gear tears off), and the telemaster survives pretty well.

The nice thing about this plane is that it looks to have plenty of cargo space for avionics, batteries, sensors, etc...

Aaron
    This site contains a wealth of information meant to address the very questions you are asking.

Many like minded people have begun just as you are and rec'd ideas and aswers by reading about the experiences of the modellers and experimenters before you.

Since alot of the enjoyment (for most of us) comes from the trial and error of a custom configuration, it would perhaps be best if you read some of the many threads and articles here at DIY Drones.
This reply was deleted.

Activity