Best (Easiest) Platform?

Hello,A project of mine this summer, or at least one I hope to get done, is to build an autonomous aircraft that relies on GPS to travel at least a few miles on its own before either landing at its destination or returning home. Hopefully picure-taking will be involved : ) I already have the Arduino board to use as a flight computer, and the GPS module is on order. I'm pretty confident about my ability to do all of the programming and interfacing involved.However, I don't have a lot of experience with model aircraft. I was at first going to use this model helicopter that I got on sale for $20, but its tail broke, and plus it was hard to control. I was then thinking I would use a blimp, but I was reading online that they're also hard to control if there's any wind or if they get caught in strong thermals. An airplane might be a possibility, but the area that I want to fly in doesn't have a lot of stretches of pavement appropriate for landing.So, I was wondering if any of you had any experiences with blimps, or could otherwise recommend relatively simple solutions for vertical takeoff and landing...I'm willing to get my hands dirty and build something, but on the other hand I don't have much experience building any sort of aircraft.Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the input everyone! I'm now the proud owner of a Multiplex EasyStar...it's a little late (and dark) tonight to try it out, but I'll definitely give it a go tomorrow. It looks like a nice platform for what I want to do. I'll definitely post updates on my progress.

I actually have a very minor technical question, but I was wondering about a power supply I got today: the application I need it for (part of the EasyStar, actually) says that I need a 11-15V source of power at 5 amps or over. I got a power supply rated for 4-6 amps, with 4 being rated for "continuous use" and 6 for "intermittent communication service -- 5 minutes on, 5 off." This leaves 5 amps in somewhat of a hazy area. I would be using it in 30 minute bursts to power a battery charger. Would this kind of use probably be ok for the supply? It wouldn't really be continuous use by any means, but on the other hand I don't want to unnecessarily wear it out if that's what would happen...
  • Hi jacob!
    I think Chris is absolutely right. A motorized glider best suits your requirement. EasyStar is one of the favorite one among the amateur UAV developers. As you told that you do not have much experience with model planes, EasyStar will help you learn to fly as well as it is a good platform for a UAV. Anyways what GPS module you are using?
  • 3D Robotics
    Short answer: you can't use blimps (at least not one smaller than a minivan) outdoors. What you want is a relatively small hand-launched airplane, like the foam Multiplex EasyStar. Pretty much indestructible but big enough to carry a camera. You can launch it and land it anywhere, on anything from pavement to grass.

When you're ready to upgrade it, you can start here.
This reply was deleted.

Activity