Power Advice

Hello everyone,Besides some small roadblocks, my Arduino-EasyStar UAV project has been going well. The autopilot is nearly debugged (or so I tell myself : P), and I have all of the electronics parts I need, except for the proper batteries.I'm not sure what to do about powering the motor, especially since I don't have any previous r/c experience. The battery pack that came with the EasyStar seems pretty heavy, especially considering all of the additional weight of all of my equipment. I'm considering a lithium pack, but I was wondering if this would still be worth my investment if I stuck with the brushed motor for now? Are lithium packs really that much lighter?Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Also, instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask a quick question that I can't find a straight answer to:

Would the 5V regulator on the Arduino Diecimila be able to handle the current necessary to drive servos? It would be nice to not need a separate regulator, especially because the prototyping shield I'm using has loads of places to hook up for 5V; but I've heard that servos can peak at pretty high current levels, so I don't want to burn anything out on the board.
  • Does anyone use flexible solar panels to power their brushless motors on the planes? They go on the wings and body. It seems you could get 200+ mA at 14 volts or more...

Something like this: http://pagermotors.com/index_files/Flex_Cells/pages/Flex_Cells_Indi...
    Jacob,
    You should upgrade to lipo even if you don't upgrade to brushless motor/ESC. As an example, I fly a big Aerobird Extrem based platform. The big sub-C bat that came with it is a brick! The upgrade for the stock setup is even heavier. I did some digging online and compared weights/size of available lipos that could be used to power "Big Bird". I found a 6000mah 3 cell lipo that ended up being the exact same weight as the upgrade 3000mah 7.2v bat from hobbyzone.

I fly pretty aggressive at times and still get 30 to 35 minute flights off the big bat.
  • 3D Robotics
    Jacob,

Great to hear about your progress. Are you using our ArduPilot code as the base of your autopilot? If so, there are a couple tweaks I need to tell you about.

As for the EasyStar, you will be happier with a LiPo/Brushless combo, which is lighter, more powerful and much longer range. Here's my post on how to do the upgrade.
This reply was deleted.

Activity