A123 LiFe Lithium-ion Batteries

I've been reading about a new type (relatively speaking) of Lithium battery that is available. They are produced by a company called A123 Systems. They make a ton of different batteries for all kinds of applications. The big deal about these cells is they have a much higher discharge tolerance as well as a fast charge. Plus they are way more safe compared to other LiPo batteries.Nitroplanes has some for sale and I've found them on other sites as well, but I've not found anyone who's using them. I'm currious if anyone here is using them or if anyone can explain why it seems that there is a gap in the voltages of available batteries. For example the Nitroplanes site has several different batteries in the 6.6v range and then 19v & 23v. It seems that 3 and 4 cell batteries are not represented, and not just the nitroplanes site. I've done a lot of reading on the cells and can't see why they are not building packs in the range where I want to use them for RC 11 & 14v packs???Any ideas?Before I buy or build my own packs, I like to hear from others.Link to Nitro Planes A123 Battery page.Nitroplanes link

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here it is a link to 2 conversions to A123

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086226

A123 are much more robust than lipos but 40% heavier
  • Hi Brian.
    I've used LiFePO4 batteries for my plane some times ago, although they weren't from A123. They're definitely heavier than usual LiPo batteries for the same mA/h, thus the lower energy density. They have a higher discharge C value, and peak current: that's what I needed to take off the plane. IMHO they're much safer, less prone to explosion and unbalancing.

Regards
  • I looked into those batteries a while ago. The are heavier than regular lipos. The were developed for power tools.
    They have a very high C rating, but a lower energy density or less mwhours/g..
  • A123 cells are great, but power density is less than lipo. That's why they are not so used in RC world.
    If you want to build your own pack, cells are cheaper on ebay.

Angelo
This reply was deleted.

Activity