Replies

• Did an Auto Tune yesterday in 12-15 mph winds with Rc7 and all went well but had to make a lot of flight corrections to keep machine nearby.  Redid today in calmer conditions and was surprised when I had a RTL near the end of the roll phase.  Switched to Stab, then Althold, and resumed auto tune to completion.  After landing I discovered my Fence Radius was set to 100 feet and that is what caused the RTL. Just wanted to say I was surprised that everything worked with this kind of interruption in the Auto Tune. Great job.

All works great, and my quad flies like it is on wires. Very responsive and snappy on controls. Just wanted to let you know.

If weather holds I will do missions and test out the Toy mode tomorrow.

Thanks for all the great work.

Joe

x525 frame, 3DR APM2.5, blue motors, and non-SimonK ESC.  RCDome used for mounting gear.

2013-11-23 22-21 1.log

2013-11-23 16-12-08.tlog

• Hi I have just uploaded RC7 ready for the next calm day when ever that happens.

I use the range video mount http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php/accessories/vibration-mount/ran... for my APM 2.5.

Do you think this is too soft and will cause issues with the autotune?

Stu

• Thanks Leonard, this is great to know. Will definitely have a go at it, in "lite" version with no addional gimbal/mass, and share experience here. Hopefully this week-end ...

• Hi Devs,

Why can't I find any info about the rc7 and were is the 3.0.1 giant forum were I could find firmware release info

And maybe its only me but I find the forum system the worst forum system I ever seen, are there any plans for introducing a forum system like fpvlab/forum were you can make topics and with a good overview of the topics with last reactions.

• Has anyone tried AutoTune on heavy octos? Any reason or special considerations to try or not try it ? (besides "this is beta software", testing, etc ...)

I've got a 5kg (without gimbal) flat 8, 1100mm,  flys great on rc5, sub .1g vibrations, solid arms and frame, CG well centered, throttle_mid under 500. Thinking of trying AT with gimbal replaced by equivalent mass of lead. Already did AT on a smaller copter, worked great. But am a bit apprehensive :-)   ...  Also concerned about board ressources consumed by Autotune. Would that be an issue on an octo?  Maybe turn-off all logging for starters?

• I miss saving my autotune pid's how can I retrieve it? Is there any chance or should I run the autotune again?

• I was able to Autotune my quad copter, see below..

I did not have time to fly with the new PID values, is started to be cold here.

Small problems encountered when I try to autotune with my dx6i.

The condition for using APM Ch7 or 8 is to have a value bigger that 1800. My 6th channel from dx6i had a maximum of 1500, even increasing the travel to 125.

Then I did switch my Mode channel (5) with Aux(flaps) channel, 6 and I was able to have 1800.

Autotune process was OK, it did start with some audio message from Mission planner and ended with another message wish Success. 

It takes somehow longer 8-9 min for a 2200 Lipo and I did changed 2 batteries until I finished with Success.

I am curious to see how to fly, I need to switch again my channels as original.

Not sure if new PID values below are good or no, until I will fly again.

But even before Autotune, quad was stable, after a new install of rc5  (after reset/erase). Is is my first rc5, after rc2 before.

New value is before Autotune, after comparing

3692884879?profile=original

• Alright well i bit the bullet and gave autotune a try. I have a 3DR Y6 with 850 motors, 30amp AfroESC's. I removed my camera/gimbal for this autotune.

Before:

3691077551?profile=original

After:

3692884103?profile=original

Few Questions:

-Does Autotune modify YAW PIDs at all? those values stayed the same

-Is it safe to revert back to 3.0.1 and input these new values? I don't want to fly around with a release candidate, but I want to use these new PID's; just want to make sure there are no major differences between 3.0.1 & 3.1rc5 on how it interprets PID's.

-The copter feels VERY locked in - maybe too much. I do plan to FPV, so if I want a smoother ride, do I lower Stab roll P & Stab pitch P?

I plan to try a few real flights later so will report back.. just want to make sure it's OK to revert back to 3.0.1 with these new PID's before venturing out.

Thank you for a great feature! I wish it was around when I first put together my Y6!

• I really like the autotune feature. I first tried it with my tricopter and it worked very well.

When I tried it on my Y6 I had some issues, I described in this thread:

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/y6-with-apm2-5-arducopter-3-1...

I now understand, that I have to do the autotune without camera and with the batteries fixed very ridged to the frame.

I will give it a try when weather and my time allow me to do.

When reading this thread and thinking about the autotune feature, I had some ideas.

The autotune lasts about 6-8 minutes, in windy conditions, where you have to bring back the copter for several times, it could last really long. When you have a copter with flighttimes less than that, you have a problem.

So I thin a good idea would be, to have a parameter to split the autotun into parts.

For example give the possibility to tune roll and pitch in extra sessions with battery change in between.

It also could be helpfull to just tune the rate PIDs and do the Stab PIDs in an extra run.

It is not an issue with one of my copters, because I have enough flight time for a complete autotune, but maybe someone could have problems with it, if it runs for 8 minutes. O.k., 8 minutes will be close to the end of my batteries at the Y6.

• I am an un-experienced multicopter pilot. Just started and got my information from RCGroups and this forum. I decided to build my own quad from scratch. I have flown fixed wing models for many years (one with APM using APM:Plane), this is my first quad.

After assembly and testing, decided to do autotune. Not a single problem, it flies like a dream. Thanks for this feature.

This reply was deleted.

Activity