AC3.3 TradHeli Release Discussion

WARNING to TradHeli users:

Do not attempt to fly AC3.3 until you hear otherwise from me.  I have not even bench tested it yet, let alone test flown it.  There are quite a lot of changes that have gone in that could be crash-o-matic for helicopters.

AC3.3 release for Tradheli is likely to be delayed.

This post will serve as the official release progress thread for TradHeli.

Warning: DO NOT FLY RC6!  It has a critical bug that will likely end in a crash.

Warning for RC5:

RATE_YAW_FILT_HZ param will change defaults from 5Hz to 20Hz to be more suitable for helicopters.  If you have never changed this parameter from 5 before, then it will automatically update the value to 20 without warning.  This much faster filter will probably require reduction in your P and D terms, and the yaw may oscillate badly.  Be prepared to retune these.  As a safety measure, probably cut them in half for your first take-off.

Warning #2 for RC5:

I accidentally broke the Landing Detector.  It will probably never trigger.  You should land in Stabilize mode, or be prepared to shut down the motor as soon as it touches the ground in Alt_Hold, Loiter, Auto, etc.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rob, 

Going through the setup right now on my Vario... H_PHANG came up as 1906. 

This looks really good, great work, love the video!  

• Hi Rob,

I tried it intentionally the wrong way (= loaded firmware and compared it to old parameters) and I get the wrong parameters:

H_COL_MAX=1750 (was 1755)

H_COL_MIN=1250 (was 1245)

H_GYR_GAIN=1245 (=old H_COL_MIN, was 350)

H_PHANG=1755 (=old H_COL_MAX, was 0)

H_TAIL_TYPE=2500 (old H_PIT/ROL_MAX ?, was 0)

the other parameters were unchanged (except the usual INS_GYR(2)OFFS_X/Y/Z).

Doing it the suggested way is fine, I need the setup video or a description NOW :-))).

• Thank you very much for this info. It's clear now what the issue is.  I will have to decide if I fix it now, or leave it with a warning to everybody to correct their parameters. 

• Hi Rob,

I took a 3.2.1 default setting and changed the ATC_, H_, and RATE_ parameters by numbering them from 1 to 65 (see Heli_3.2.1_1-to-65_ATC_H_RATE.param). Then I made the 3.3-Bench update (After_update_3.3-Bench.param) and compared the ATC_, H_, and RATE_ parameters in Differences.txt.

I would like to suggest to add RC_SPEED_TAIL for helicopter and tricopter tail servos. I know you are not a big fan of high frequency servos, but imagine how cool it would be to have nobody ask for it anymore :-). On my heli I got tail wag by changing from RC_SPEED=333 to 125, so the phase margin advantage isn't only a theory (ofcourse lowering PIDs would help) .

Heli_3.2.1_1-to-65_ATC_H_RATE.param

After_update_3.3-Bench.param

Differences.txt

• Looking at this more closely, I'm not sure if or how I can straighten this out.  It's slightly complicated.

How does everybody feel about having to go through this reset procedure? I personally don't think it's a big deal, but there's a risk that some people might miss the step and end up with bad H_PHANG's which would be bad.

• No problem for me as I know it already.

H_GYR_GAIN=old H_COL_MIN, will be around 1250, range 0 to 1000

H_PHANG=old H_COL_MAX, will be around 1750, range -90 to 90, should be 0 for 99%

H_TAIL_TYPE=old H_ROL_MAX will be around 2500, should be 0 to 3

I think the problematic parameter is H_PHANG and if you don't recognize your swash inputs are about 50° off - well than you will have bigger problems somewhere else ;-). A warning in the download area should be good for 99% of the users.

• I'm good with it. Every time I setup and tune a helicopter I learn something new. ;)

• Thanks,

I started on the setup video, but had a rough day of it.  Burned out my throttle servo.

NB: When setting up a gasser, disconnect the linkage until you get the endpoints set.

I can't believe it's 2015 and servo will push against an immovable object until they burn out... 

• Hi Rob,

It may be too late but I'll try it on a 800 petrol machine early next week.

Does it have the Governor function?

Cheers,

Steve

• No governor function unfortunately.  Some people have used external governors, but I know little about this.

This reply was deleted.

Activity