AC3.3 TradHeli Release Discussion

WARNING to TradHeli users:

Do not attempt to fly AC3.3 until you hear otherwise from me.  I have not even bench tested it yet, let alone test flown it.  There are quite a lot of changes that have gone in that could be crash-o-matic for helicopters.

AC3.3 release for Tradheli is likely to be delayed.

This post will serve as the official release progress thread for TradHeli.

Warning: DO NOT FLY RC6!  It has a critical bug that will likely end in a crash.

Warning for RC5:

RATE_YAW_FILT_HZ param will change defaults from 5Hz to 20Hz to be more suitable for helicopters.  If you have never changed this parameter from 5 before, then it will automatically update the value to 20 without warning.  This much faster filter will probably require reduction in your P and D terms, and the yaw may oscillate badly.  Be prepared to retune these.  As a safety measure, probably cut them in half for your first take-off.

Warning #2 for RC5:

I accidentally broke the Landing Detector.  It will probably never trigger.  You should land in Stabilize mode, or be prepared to shut down the motor as soon as it touches the ground in Alt_Hold, Loiter, Auto, etc.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nice work, very informative.
      Am I to assume that setup is done with a linear pitch curve in the TX, which does not change for flight, as the pitch can be limited in the software? Also, would you recommend levelling the swash mechanically before adjusting as demonstrated?
      Домен не прилинкован ни к одной из директорий на сервере!
      • Jim,

Yes, typically you set up a straight pitch curve in the Tx.  Advanced users could of course do just about anything they want (if their TX was mode-aware) but that is outside the scope of these instructions.

Similarly, yes, mechanical leveling should be done before this setup.  However, using H_SV_MAN mode 3 will help in this, locking all servos at center.  I could have shown mechanical setup but... it's a bit outside the scope again.

I would like to help more users get into helicopters.  But it's a tough call whether or not I should encourage people who don't already know how to set up a helicopter to jump right in with a complicated autopilot system.

BTW, I love the Goblin 380 as there is virtually no mechanical setup!  Look at those nice fixed length links! :)

• Hi Rob,

some questions/suggestions regarding your document:

Added 4­point Stabilize Collective
    ­ H_COL_MIN and H_COL_MAX replaced by IM_STAB_COL_1 ­  
    IM_STAB_COL_4

H_COL_MIN and H_COL_MAX should be H_STAB_COL_MIN and H_STAB_COL_MAX.

H_STAB_COL_1/4 and H_ACRO_COL_EXP (H_ instead of IM_) would be nice to have, so everything is grouped together.

Added Pirouette Compensation

0=off, +/-1 for on ? How can I check on the bench ?

Comparing disarmed ACRO_TRAINER=0 modus to a standard FBL unit shows very different behaviour. With my FBL unit(s) the swash returns to level(body frame) within 4 seconds after every stick input and the tail doesn't return to center, while AC-heli does the opposite.

Added DISARM_DELAY parameter.

Why is 10 = 5 and not 10 = 10 ?

Added ATC_HOVR_ROL_TRM parameter.
    ­ Defaults to 400 = 4.00° roll to the right.

Actually defaults to 300=3.00°

Added RATE_xxxx_I_L_MIN parameters.
    ­ Defaults to 300

Actually defaults to 0, should be 300 for roll and pitch, but should it be 300 for yaw as well ?

H_FLYBAR_MODE = 1 
    ­ Flybar mode has been debugged and fully tested by Tridge
    ­ In Acro Mode, Pilot inputs are passed directly through to servos with no PID
    or AHRS corrections.  This makes Flybar mode possible to maintaine
    controlled flight should the AHRS/EKF fail.  
     ­ H_TAIL_TYPE = 1

Can I use a standard FBL unit now using H_SWASH_TYPE = 1, H_FLYBAR_MODE = 1, H_TAIL_TYPE = 1 ?

Default ACCEL_Z_P=0.5 is too high IMHO.

• I tested my I2C sonar yesterday and it worked great. the loiter was near perfect in 10mph winds. i still have a little shake in the tail but other then that it if perfect. 

thanks

• Rob,

Just wondering if you got a link to your Set-up Video?   It has been awhile since I looked at my Trad Heli with APM and am considering switching over to PixHawk, PHL(PixHawk Lite) to be more precise, on my 600, which currently has an APM on it using older code (I believe 3.0 or 3.1).  I am always intimidated by the many parameters in Mission Planner.  Good to hear that you have simplified the set-up in mission planner.  Complements on your hard work.  My only suggestion would be to update the Wiki ;) please, or at least provide a list of important parameters and their "suggested" starting values for those of us starting from scratch or coming from older builds.

• And without further delay, 3.3.2 rc1 is finally available straight from Mission Planner by clicking on the Beta Firmwares tab.

I've got a fair amount of flight time on it now and I'm very very happy.  The setup is so much better, and the I-Leak-Min feature and Hover-Roll-Trim are working very nicely.  

The only thing I really don't like at this point, is the way that Alt Hold, Loiter etc, lock the rotor to full negative if the rotor isn't up to speed.  It's even catching me out.  I spoke with Tridge about it, and he had a really good idea.  Instead of locking the collective down, if the rotor isn't up to speed, we will lock the climb rate to -1m/s.  This will be safer, and will also be the beginning stage of a really simple dumb-autorotation. 

So you can expect there will be another Release Candidate just for this issue alone.

• See the Tradheli  FW updates, very exciting. 3.3.2 rc1 update, what are the contents? Notice what? Helicopter, still need our best efforts to make patient, careful commissioning, in order to ensure the safety of aircraft and pilots.

• Instead of locking the collective down, if the rotor isn't up to speed, we will lock the climb rate to -1m/s.

It would be great to have -1m/s, but I have my doubts, see  AutonomousAutorotation.pdf or youtube i.e.450 auto

Depending on how much cyclic is used -3° or more on the collective should work.

http://www.robotics.stanford.edu/%7Eang/papers/iser08-AutonomousAutorotationOfHelicopter.pdf
  • FYI guys, I updated my gasser and flew it today, and found I had to reduce the pitch and roll gains a little bit.  Another person experienced the same thing. I'm not really sure why yet.  But just be prepared on your first take-off.

• I want to install a Sonar on my Trex 450 and I was wondering if 3.2.1 for traditional heli supports it or will it be supported on the 3.3 Traditional Heli. 

Thanks

Joe

This reply was deleted.

Activity