AC3.3 TradHeli Release Discussion

WARNING to TradHeli users:

Do not attempt to fly AC3.3 until you hear otherwise from me.  I have not even bench tested it yet, let alone test flown it.  There are quite a lot of changes that have gone in that could be crash-o-matic for helicopters.

AC3.3 release for Tradheli is likely to be delayed.

This post will serve as the official release progress thread for TradHeli.

Warning: DO NOT FLY RC6!  It has a critical bug that will likely end in a crash.

Warning for RC5:

RATE_YAW_FILT_HZ param will change defaults from 5Hz to 20Hz to be more suitable for helicopters.  If you have never changed this parameter from 5 before, then it will automatically update the value to 20 without warning.  This much faster filter will probably require reduction in your P and D terms, and the yaw may oscillate badly.  Be prepared to retune these.  As a safety measure, probably cut them in half for your first take-off.

Warning #2 for RC5:

I accidentally broke the Landing Detector.  It will probably never trigger.  You should land in Stabilize mode, or be prepared to shut down the motor as soon as it touches the ground in Alt_Hold, Loiter, Auto, etc.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Finally got around to setting up a Heli with a pixhawk.

Heli will be a Logo 550sx and so far so good. I found a good mounting place for the pixhawk and GPS/Compass unit.

However, the Wiki is very outdated and set up for the APM not the pixhawk. Is all the information still the same in terms of which channels are what?

Also, CH8 is the throttle channel if I am reading this correctly? So our Throttle hold switch should be on Channel 8? 

And the pixhawk does not provide any governor functions correct? so we need to use our ESC Gov?

• Hi Jason,

Correct on most accounts.  Ch8 is still the throttle channel, and so TH should be on Ch8.  And no internal governor functions yet.  Maybe for 3.4.

• Can anyone add their Parameter file from a succesfully flying Trex500/550 sized heli with Pixhawk...

I'm going around and around in circles adjusting these settings, but getting no-where...  would be great to see someone else's settings...  

Thanks in advance....  

BOB

or email to bobflintAThotmailDOTcom

• Did some quick testing of RC7, and so far so good.

I did test Land mode, and it disarms within a couple seconds of touching down.

• I have done some testing with 3.3 rc7 with my 'flying tank' the RJX x-tron 500 from HobbyKing. Because of the  total weight 3225g I needed to change from 4S Lipo to 6S Lipo. At the moment 2p 3S until new bat arrives.

Today first time 6S  and I thought so far so good. After about 7 min test flight I checked  my log files. The tlog showed me that after arming and lift off the  'Error compass variance'. I did not know during test because the ground station was indoors. Also the Acc y graph looks strange for me. I have never seen that before like that.

Is there an expert to look at my log file to let me know what could be a problem. This Heli flies remarkable nice compare to my Align 450 with the APM2.5 3.2.1. Loiter not the best yet.

I have attached a screen shot of MP after the flight when the RJX was sitting absoult level and aimed nose to south ( placed with my high grade hand held compass) This shows the info in the HUD regarding the compass in the Heli. I also have a photo showing the Heli after this test flight.

Thanks Fred

Just noticed the zipped .bin file is still to big. I have to do a new shorter test flight tomorrow.

• Here  2 photos.

My Helis-May2015.JPG

RJX X-Tron 500.jpg

• I have done a new test flight and found out that I do have to get used to the fw. 3.3 with EKF on only.

Yesterday my takeoff was to quick and that was the Acc graphs looked a bit strange for me but not today. The vibration values are very low so I am happy with that.

But still little tuning to do and than change the Pixhawk from the Trex 700 to 3.3.

Sorry for wasting the space on this forum.

Fred

• Hey Rob,, so about to start a new Trex500/Pixhawk,,  just read this thread from start to finish,, all sounds like good fun,,,,  can I use RC7 safely?? have all those bugs from RC5 and RC6 been resolved??

or should I just use 3.2.1??

Cheers BOB

• Bob, rc7 is actually OK, most of the major problems have been solved.  However, rc8 should actually be really good, and it's probably best at this point to just wait for that to come out.  It's at that point that I'd like to open it up to wider beta testing.  Though I have already tested it pretty thoroughly.  I've got 2-3 hours of flight time on what will become rc8.

• Thanks Rob,, did my first flights yesterday with Pixhawk on T500, I actually opted for 3.2.1 for fear of loading something with issues,,,

I have a few tuning issues,,

1) I can't get the tail to stop waggling,, even with every yaw setting as low as it will go,, and control horn as short as  possible..

2) I can't seem to get the oscillations in the head to stop, but also give me enough control throw.. it's very very sluggish,,, 

Can you post a Param file I can try for 3.2.1 or even 3.3 RC7/8???   just to give me a starting point??

or post a screen shot of your extended tuning page??  I think i'm either chasing my tail in tuning,, or missing something...

Cheers..

BOB

This reply was deleted.

Activity