Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Guys,

I combined Burt's and my changes to the setup panel last night and also rewrote the warnings panel this afternoon. I've put the changes in the pre-release files. Can someone check them out and have a play to make sure they are user friendly.

• With all the information people wish (I see requests for WP and RSSI), we must admit that the MAX7456 is not good enough in the long run - the more you display, the more cluttered the screen gets - and - we are completely missing analog indicators, and the increased readability they provide.

For really cool graphics, and audio warnings - take a look at this project;

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/6736-openpilot-osd-prototyping/

Fortunately it's open source too - it would be sweet to make that read mavlink...

• Gábor

I have added Rssi to the projet from the code in the pre release folder.

I also found a way to slow down the input in the setup menu to about one unit pre to second.

My problem is I can't find out how to commit the changes to the area.

So next best think is show some of the code here.

in the write panels area this is the code to date.

switch(delay_setup){
    case(0):
    delay_setup++;
    break;
    case(1):
    delay_setup++;
    break;
    case(2):
    delay_setup++;
    break;
    case(3):
    delay_setup = 0;
    if(ISd(Setup_BIT)) panSetup(panSetup_XY[0], panSetup_XY[1]);
    break;
    }

CHANGE TO THIS  

delay_setup++;

if ( delay_setup > 6 ){

delay_setup = 0;

if(ISd(Setup_BIT)) panSetup(panSetup_XY[0], panSetup_XY[1]);

}

IN THE SETUP PANEL THIS IS THE CODE 

case 1:
    {
    osd.printf_P(PSTR(" Overspeed "));
    osd.printf("%3.0i%c", overspeed, spe);
    uint8_t overspeed_old = overspeed;
    overspeed = overspeed + (chan1_raw - chan1_raw_middle) / 100;
    if(overspeed != overspeed_old) EEPROM.write(202, overspeed);
    break;
    }

CHANGE TO THIS BELOW.

case 1:

{

stick_time = millis() / 1000; 

osd.printf_P(PSTR("    Overspeed    "));

osd.printf("%3.0i%c", overspeed, spe);

uint8_t overspeed_old = overspeed;

if ((chan1_raw - 100) > chan1_raw_middle ){

overspeed = overspeed - 1;}

if ((chan1_raw + 100) < chan1_raw_middle ){

overspeed = overspeed + 1;}

if(overspeed != overspeed_old) EEPROM.write(202, overspeed);

break;

}

I was able to make over speed, stall, & my RSSI menus work good, but ran out of space for the voltage.

Will be posting a video in a few minutes, before I call it a night.

Please if you can, How to I commit the changes?

Later

Burt Green

• Hey guys, have a few great flights under my belt with the stock firmware.

Any chance you could update the top (original) post with a link with the latest config and hex?

It would help!  Thank you!

Is there any way to start showing Wapoints?

• Pedro: this freaking thread won't let me reply to correct post.

I am confused about the versions, Gábor uploaded 1.29.1 recently, now I booted your last posting, not knowing what was new and what was really fresh code.

your latest file, at least what I think is latest, with MD5 03130fa5d12ead4d2ef5f90e6e3936a9  is crashing during voltage config.

Once I try to adjust voltage, it does not adjust decimals, but only whole volts, one "touch" of the stick makes it start counting 14.1 15.1, 16.1 17.1 and then OSD crashes and reboots.

The screenshot is from yesterday, even at altitude of 66m , I can't see anything, like ground. - due to humidity/rain.  (battery low warning is false alarm, because I did not configure the voltage threshold - percentage and voltage is reliable)

Flying on conditions like that - requires a stable OSD. :) - so I'll stop test flights and wait better weather.

BTW- telemetry using laptop is messy in rain, hoping for the android version soon - THAT will be sweet.

3692490316?profile=original

• Just flew 1.29.0  (thank you)

I can sonfirm that the overspeed is fiexed.

however, I had "low-voltage warning" all the time.

The voltage was fine , and even right after boot with 16.4v , and none of the 4Ah used.

Please confirm.

• Hi!

I have just a general info for Minimosd. I had big trouble with my APM2/MinimOSD config when powered over a BEC of a ESC. The OSD was powered over APM 5V connection. The OSD flickered and froze when motors were running faster. Even arming was sometimes problematic. Than i had a slight crash, i guess a "brown out". First of all i now use an external BEC it delivers about 5,4V. The arming issues are gone. The ESC are just connected with their signalwire to APM. Knowing about this weak diode on APM2 and the hot minimosd Videochip i thought there can be something done. So i connected the +5V line of the minimosd directly (no APM in between) to the 5,4V regulator output with 2 standard 1A Diodes in the plus line to reduce Voltage. I now run minimosd at ca 4,7 V, i did several FPV flights today with very good result. I now have a solid and good video signal (no jitter/flicker or anything) and a good working OSD (1.29 - thanks!) and the best part: the minimosd doesn't get so hot anymore, besides this it will put some work away from the built in APM 2 diode as well.

Cheers

Kraut - Rob :)

• Hi Gabor

I did some test flights today. My current equipment does not allow for taking a video, sorry, so I just can do some remarks

1. In general it works stable in my environment. My camera is a pixim seawolf 690tvl, my goggle is a Cinemizer plus from zeiss. Thnx a lot for your work.

2. I did not get a battery warning, although my battery was very low. The battery warning is ONLY controlled by the ArduPilot SW and my configuration there, right ? The only thing that I have to do in the OSD is to configure "Warnings" ? Or did I miss something ?

3. In the center of the screen I have a flickering. It wants to display something sometimes. It comes and goes very fast so I cant read it..Is thsi a know effect or should I dig a little into this ?

More testing will come soon, hopefully with a video then.

greetings and thnx a lot for the great job you did and still do!

knut

• I got a bit confused of the many wishes, and some bugs.

Please use Project page for reporting: Link

This reply was deleted.

Activity