Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• already installed this on my minimosd, after a lot of tries i discovered i had to power the 12v line to get it to program the new firmware!

in my case the selection of channel 8 to control the screens had a result that in half of the modes one screen appears, and on the other half the other screen. it's a little late here in brazil, so i'll test it a little more this week. 

and again, thanks very much for this extra version of minimOSD software! lots of cool stuff to play with!

• I thought of another nice panel today. mah used.

This goes in MAVLINK_MSG_ID_SYS_STATUS

osd_batt_mahused_A = osd_batt_mahused_A + (osd_curr_A * 0.0000027777777777771 * (millis() - osd_batt_update_time));

osd_batt_update_time = millis();

I need to run a whole battery through it then compare the final mah used with the mah reading from the battery charger when I recharge it.

I discovered in testing that my motor is making some clicking noises. Maybe a magnet is loose? So I'll have to fix that before any further testing.

• Andke - do you think the MinimOSD caused the crash? I wasn't sure from your post.

Note - If you are using ArduPlane v2.6, there is a bug with channel 5,6,7 not remembering the function that you set them to do between reboots. That's why you had to reset the function on ch5 out in the field. You currently need to do this every time you reboot APM. I use channel 5 for flaps so and it is very annoying, but at least I can see the effect to remind me to reset it!

James

• This happened at first flight with latest firmware !

3692500307?profile=originalthat must be a huge bug - right ??

Some feedback - programmed it at home to be disabled on ch5  - still, when I got out there, I had to reprogram it - not sure if it was correctly stored the first time, after programming ch5 - I flew and tested it, it worked fine, disabling the overlay via that channel.  Unfortunately I cannot confirm that it really saved that selection this time...

I failed to program failsafe on a receiver after firmware update.  - A very amateur-ish error - I blame it on fragmented project time, with many interruptions.

resulted in the plane ending in the sea (salt-water) - it floats well, but the "landing" filled it temporarily with water.

switchmode-BEC shorted/went bananas, and output a lot more to servos, digital servos burned up, analog HS56 survived.  Telemetry modem survived, video TX is unknown yet. Airspeed sensor correded, current sensor (90A) melted plastic to to ESC failure, that burned the motor to a point where it cannot be rotated, and wires are melted, camara , andre much more... + a 12channel graupner HoTT reciever, is history.

APM it not working, but does work partially - mostly due to conformal coating. - I assume MinimOSD is most burned because it it pretty hot as-is (in 5V) and now it got a lot of juice.   -  it was powered directly from teh switch-mode 5V supply, not via APM.

• @Gabor @Coders:

Hi!

I got something else in mind beside this rssi thing.

After seeing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr8Rxi4S_MA i ask my self: wouldn't it be nicer to have a dot line instead of this bulky "straight" -  c64 - style line? Just an idea. I will download your code and have a look at it as well. When i resolve the RSSI/PWM stuff and the dot line my OSD is perfect :) .

So long

Kraut Rob

• Hi!

I asked here http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/no-serious-problems-just-some-que... a few things. For point 1 of the post i had an idea: The frsky D4FR puts out a digital (pwm) RSSI signal - is it possible to solder it directly to a free pin of the minimosds' arduino and read the value out by a modified version of this software??

So long

Rob

• Hi!

Thank you for your great work.

Here is a short video (2 min) of your code in action:

http://youtu.be/bAz3bIoF7H8

I think it is flashed with MinimOSD Extra 1.29.2.hex (not shure, perhaps older version 1.29.1). I am not planning of updating, because it works like a charm. Thanks!

Needless to say, the picture is MUCH better in real life!

So long

Kraut Rob

P.s.: now you know where i fly....

• Hi

I have problems to get into the OSD menu. I tried to follow your video and did the following steps several times

1. I connect apm and minim osd with the battery

2.I can see the boot up message of mimin 1.29.2

3. It waits for mavlink data.

4. Data arrives, I can see Mod: Manu

5. I switch to Mod Stab and back to Manu.

The only thing that I can see is: minimOSD displays Mod manu, then switches to Stab and then back to Manu. I can do

this easily within 1 or 2 seconds.

What am I doing wrong ?

knut

I had some good testflights with 1.29.2 today. Everything worked fine except I have to live with "feet" and wrong battery and stall warnings because I am not able to configure these.

• Gabor, Pedro and Burt,

There are a few redundant things I've noticed while coding the OSD. Things like warnings turn the OSD on, because the warnings used to be inside the panel list. Once I moved them out of the osd_on if statement then there was no longer a need for the OSD to be on for the warnings to be displayed, warnings can easily be displayed alone on a blank screen if the OSD is off.

In a similar line of thought... Now that we are getting better at coding the config tool, do we really need the setup menu on the OSD? Couldn't we write the EEPROM values from the config tool and eliminate the setup menu all together. That would save quite a lot of space. We could also write a PAL/NTSC bit that would save Gabor making NTSC versions of the hex files, and it would make it much easier to add even more config options, like if warnings should turn the OSD back on or not.

Also, I've been thinking that we're all doing great work by ourselves, but often I only have a vague idea about what each of us is working on until a new update is uploaded. What about if we coordinate a bit more, so that we know what each other is doing and when they might be finished. That was we could release a hex file a week or something, and we could know in advance what changes it was likely to have in it. Maybe we could encourage people to make feature requests in the issue tracker?

• Just made a new Pre-Release version. (1.29.3 r78)

3692495739?profile=original

1./

Added RSSI option to Config tool

2./

Made a panel for RSSI in MinimOSD code.

3./

Re-enabled MavBeat panel.

Now the coding is almost ready. (I mean for RSSI)

Only a few test flight is required.

Please post videos, videos, videos! :)

Enjoy

This reply was deleted.

Activity