Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• you are reporting the exact same problem I have/had.

It started when OSD suddenly diapered without notice, and lately I am having the same problem where OSD blinks but keeps working. After months of tests I found out that the problem is somehow related to noise on the power/signal bus which in my case looks to be generated by the servos (plane). I have replaced my UBEC and rewired power to APM in such a way that power is now fed to both IN and OUT sides of the APM (Jumper in place) and I got some stability but your problem looks to be related to noise as well on power lines and I don't know how to get read of it for good.

minimosd is VERY sensitive to power issues.

Hope this helps. 

• Here's an interesting one...

All of a sudden my MinimOSD is consistently displaying incorrect temperatures ranging from 537 deg F to 654 deg F.

But when I connect my APM via 3DR Radio to Mission Planner to view APM telemetry it shows correct temps in the 70-90 deg F range.

Why would MinimOSD show temps incorrectly, even though the APM is apparently sending correct raw data to the MinimOSD?

What changed?  I did upgrade from 2.74b to 2.78b just before this started and I also made some very minor mods to block light from my barometric pressure sensor (which I've since removed) and replaced the 3DR power module to APM 2.5 cable that was wearing out.  I've tried rolling back to 2.75beta2 but that didn't fix it.  I'm having problems getting all the way back to 2.74b and I haven't figured that out yet.

-----------------

More details if interested....

-----------------

3701690322?profile=originalI've done a fair bit of debugging to find the root cause without success.

MinimOSD never displays a number higher than 654 deg F, but when the temp goes higher it rolls to 0 deg F and continues to climb from there.  For example, 655 shows as 0, 660 shows as 5 , etc.

When I put my finger on the sensor, the temp rises and it goes back down when I remove my finger.  In other words, the sensor is working.

When go into terminal on Mission Planner, and run an airpressure test, I see expected results:

Alt: 0.00m, Raw: 101617.9 Temperature 30.6 (i.e. 87 deg F)

This implies that the sensor is working perfectly yet why whould MinimOSD display incorrectly?

I've tried two different MinimOSD devices with same results. I've tried different versions of APM firmware and different versions of MinimOSD firmware.

I'm fairly stumped here. I've not seen any other posts related to incorrect temps so I'm not at all confident going back to 2.74b will fix anything.

As far as I can tell, this doesn't affect anything else and my plane is flying fine - just an annoyance and curious why something isn't working like before.

• I installed various firmware to my 3DR APM 2.5 and 3DR MinimOSD using Mission Planner 1.1.5187.14200 and I see that this appears to be a bug introduced somewhere after 2.74.

APM     MinimOSD-Extra               Results

2.74            2.4_r676               Displays Temps Correctly

2.76                2.2                    Displays Temps Wrong 

2.78b              2.2                    Displays Temps Wrong

2.74                2.2                    Displays Temps Correctly

I'm trying to identify the exact Git commit that caused this but I'm having problems compiling anything before Sept 21, 2013, commit bcce2e4fc5a0b27a0b727256a243d721873cf3aa, due to this error:

avr-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-assembler-with-cpp'The problem is introduced sometime before that commit.

I presume that most people don't have temperature on their panel since it is off by default, which perhaps explains why I've not found anyone else complaining about it.

• With camera on

http://youtu.be/6Nvk6YYVAfw

With camera off

http://youtu.be/HUwaXlKuge0

There are horizontal white color bands, does anyone know the reason? Thx

I have my radio off and I did move the wires around, no luck.

And is it normal that the rectangular chip in the middle get hot? 

• And the rectangular chip in the middle is hot. Is it normal?

I have checked the 5V and 12V pinout, they are ok. Thx

Then, I found this link.

http://flitetest.com/articles/minimosd-heat-mod

I didn't put any heat sink and ran it for 30 mins. Suddenly, the current went up to 5A as I remembered on the OSD!

Scare of using this board now. Getting a new one.

• Try turning the dim setting in OSD config tool down.

• OSD brightness is low already.

• Gabor,

Thank you for the new tuning panel with altitude and airspeed error. It is no substitute for knowing the altitude at the next waypoint, but with a copilot reading off the next waypoints, it was a HUGE help today. I had a very complex flight plan with over 100 waypoints, each at a different altitude. This really helped my situational awareness as I buzzed the tree tops following the contours trying to make a 1 cm resolution map.

Next time I will move this panel so its directly under my altitude for quicker reference. It would be nice if the airspeed error was a different panel so I could place it under air speed. I would then change the characters to the delta symbol.

This isn't the best video to show how useful the new panel is, but it was a very exciting landing :)

Read the YouTube description for the story.

http://youtu.be/SJ4E13vlSTk

• 100KM

Hi Iskess

I did 3 flight yesterday, 90 waypoints in total, over a very steep mining site. I'm also trying to produce a DTM, but the actual processing is done by another company. It's nerve wrecking letting the AP hug the contours!a The OSD is an awesome help, showing the distance to the next waypoint as well as the XE. I haven't tried the panel you spoke about. Thanks for the video, great to see someone else going through the same stresses and elations as I :)

• I'm in a tropical clime.. I fly the APM using  a skywalker placing the AP+minimosd+GPS in the compartment under the wing (not in the main fuselage).  That compartment can get warm (mainly from the minimosd), after a 15-20minute fight I notice that it gets warmer by 4-5C.  Adding an air scoop / intake using a repurposed plastic spoon to funnel air into that compartment worked wonders.. too successful, now the temperature typically goes down by 2-3C once up on the air.  Rises again in the final landing approach due to lower speed but never exactly the same due to time of day and HW sensor limitations obviously.  I'm setting up a quad this week.. I suspect I'll be more sensitive to this issue with this project.

This reply was deleted.

Activity