Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yours is the same?

Gábor is that how it should look now?

• Wheyy I have it working. My problem was my programmer wasn't actually giving 5v. I went out for a fly and loved it although I'd really like a distance above home tab. Is that possible already and I'm just being a fool? I also want to get rssi working but I can't seem to figure that one out :( ahh we when I have time i crack on with it. Thankyou
    • Glad you got it sorted too Robert seems like the 5v is critical for updating the characterset in the unit!!

Hally

• Hi,

Tlog send feature fixed.

All the feedback appreciated as always :)

Regarding charset update there are some options:

1. Boards that have separate powering:

They need 5V at telemetry connector and máx 12V at video middle pin connector

2. Boards that have shared powering (when connecting ftdi cable both leds (digital and analog) light on):

This boards don't need and shouldn't have video middle pins connected (with power) because that would mean two power sources powering the same circuit.

In this case if you have a 3dr ftdi cable you shouldn't have problems uploading charset as it has 5V power enough for both chips.

If you have a 3.3V ftdi cable (as a friend of mine) you should separate analog and digital powering so you can power video chip MAX7456 via the video middle pin (máx 12V). I'm not sure if it will burn osd by powering both sides without separating the digital and analog powering but it's not a best practice for sure.

Hope this help to clarify charset updating,

Miguel

CT Tool for MinimOSD Extra 2.4.0.1 Pre Release r794.zip

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701929720?profile=original
    • Thanks Miguel. I tested Send TLog and it works. I wish there were a way to start/stop the Tlog. Its not really an important function and not worth putting precious development time into. It would make the feature more useful though.

Still, I'm just happy its working so I can bench test my screen layout without reattaching to the APM and booting up the plane.

• I just found out after two days head banging that with my Sparkfun 3.3 volt FTDI it was not enough to update the chararcter set even with the analogue side powered with 12v.  3.3 volts was enough to be able to read and send the config and panels to the Minimosd but was not enough to do the character set update.  I had to lift the vcc pin from the connector and power it with an external 5 volts before it would work successfully.

Hally

• Hi Hally,

Thanks for the feedback :)

I think this should really go to a troubleshoot page.

If you could, please post some videos of your osd working. Me and Gabor love to see it working and is a great way to catch some possible fw bugs.

Miguel

• I certainly will Miguel once I finish this build and our weather begins to get better I will upload any new video's to my Youtube site here:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/BillHally/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Am looking forward to flying with the APM and Minimosd.

Hally

BillHally
          Mostly Radio Control related some other stuff.
  • Gabor,
    How do I feed a Tlog into the MinimOSD so I can watch the OSD playback?
    • Hello iskess. We will have a look. At the moment i am not able to test. Hoping tomorrow.
This reply was deleted.

Activity