Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Gabor,

Its not based on your code. It's written from scratch and doesn't use "arduino stuff".

Only some of the widgets (called panels on minimosd-extra) are based on your code (like the horizon).

Anyway, still some work to do on my FW...

Most important is to make it user friendly, meaning: create tool to configure it.

Regards,

Luis

• OK

No problem.

It is opensource ;)

• I look forward to seeing your board.  Any idea when you should have something worth putting out there?

PS. If you want my boards (I think I have 6 of them), just send me a message with mailing details and I'll send them your way. Not sure if they are any good, but you are welcome to play with them.

• Hi Guys am new to this MinimOSD in my Skywalker plane and have been doing a lot of reading over the weekend about it.  I have a little problem that maybe some one can help me with.  If I install the 2.2 version all symbols etc appear fine on my screen but it does not show me the CRUZ mode and mah used instead of %.  OK I thought no problem will update the latest R800 using the above link.  Now a lot of symbols on the screen are goble dee gook. Going back to 2.2 sorts the problem out again.  So I read some more and thought it was to do with the character set in the latest CT it reported the character set as 207.207.207 or some thing like that, I then blew in the Character_Updater_FW.hex and updated the character set to the one in the FW & Char directory and that appeared to go just fine.  So I put back the MinimOSD_Extra_Plane_R800.hex file into the unit and configured it the way I want my screen to look and still the wrong characters on the screen like the compass rose and horizon being the worst.  I really would like to have all the latest symbols on the screen when flying am at a loss as what to try next so am hoping someone might be able to give me a clue here??  TIA

• Hi,

Please download the latest fw package by scrolling up here, and clicking on the link.

Unpack.
      Start the CT included.
      (It is important to use the right CT!)

Upload character uploader fw.

Power both side of the osd.

Digital is needed for connection, but the sync chip is also needed to store the cars. Update runs even if the video side is not powered, but will newer take the new chars.

When finished, upload plane fw.

That is it.

Gábor
      • Hello Gabor

OK tried this have already downloaded and unpacked R800.

Started R800 CT

Uploaded character uploader firmware

After that Powered both sides of the board (LED each side lit)

Then ran in new characterset using button under option

Uploaded plane firmware

Screen still not correct with latest firmware

Question for you do I need to power both sides of the board before I upload the character uploader firmware?

Does this indeed load the characters with no need to run the character upload sequence after that?

As you made no mention of that in your reply

Hally

• T3

Is this a specific character set that you're wanting to use? If so, where did you get it and which one?

I have been following the various RCG threads and found that with the newest firmware for plane, one of the charsets don't work quite right so I just gave up on them as there were others I preferred anyway.

I don't use a 3DR board but a different variant and what worked for me (after reading various threads everywhere and copied here) is:

1. Power BOTH sides of the board!
          2. Open CT, upload the proper character updating firmware
          3. Select read from OSD and blank both screen 1 and screen 2. That is de-select everything. Save each screen as a blank to the OSD.
          4. Exit, power off of everything (don't know if a simple reset does the same thing)
          5. Re-power (both sides!) open CT, select read from OSD. Make sure screens are blank.
          6. Update Charset
          7. Update firmware to the newest version for plane
          8. Configure screens, save to OSD

How necessary is it to clear out the screens first? No idea but it worked for me first try.

I'm curious about the new firmware from Luis. I'll have to take a look at that.

• Hi healthy am not really fussed which character set I use as long as it works for me and displays all the new modes etc correctly on my screen.  Do you know of others that its possible to use?

Hally

• T3

I like Tiny and Digital that you can see here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30071138&postcoun...

I'm using tiny as it maximizes the video I can see but I really like the look of digital as well. Give one of those a try. I believe char sets need to be updated to match firmware from what I have read but I could very well be wrong. It seems that sometimes, there are updates required as some characters get out of date and some new features require other characters. Give those a try.

RC Groups - View Single Post - Modifying the MinimOSD Charset to look less cluttered (for Dummies)
              RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
        • Hello,

No for FW upload it is not needed.

Are you using a 6 pin FTDI?

Gábor

This reply was deleted.

Activity