Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, very simple, I'm in love (:

Thanks David, work perfect. 

3702835093?profile=original

• A character firmware (older one) is actually included in r800, its in the FW & Char folder called Character_Updater_FW.hex. No need to search for older one to use. Can be diffucult to know how old it has to be to be working too.

I think it was size dependent, Miguel or Gabor sure know the right size. But for newcomers it can be a trial and error thing.

So just load the Character_Updater_FW.hex, update charset, and then update to plane or copter firmware thats in the same folder.

Bjoern

• Hi,

IMHO we shouldn't average battery voltage for a couple of reasons:

1 - Hides sudden drops as refered by Gábor

2 - More code space spent on a almost full program memory platform

3 - We have other "averaged" battery indicators:

Battery percentage is a "fuel gauge" indicator. If it is set correctly setting in MP the mAh that effectively battery charger charged the battery it will give a very reliable indicator. Obviously we should also be sure that all the current and voltage MP parameters are set correctly.

The low voltage warning is also a voltage averaging indicator since it may be triggered by a sudden drop (low probability) but then the warning disappears.

For a FPV flight I believe we should keep the eyes on the "primary six" indicators (as real aviation does):

Airspeed (critical for planes)

Attitude indicator (horizon panel)

Altitude

Course deviation indicator (Real heading panel) mostly for coordinated turns

Heading (or maybe Home Arrow panel for FPV)

Climb rate (vertical speed panel)

This is why I think that battery level indicators are important but as warnings.

Nice to read all the input :)

Miguel

• Yes, cafeteria style is most preferred way!
    • I agree Miguel. Well said.
      I do think it would be useful to have the option for lateral and vertical acceleration.
      Lateral is the best way to observe turn corrdination. It should be displayed like the a Slip Indicator ("step on the ball"). Vertical acceleration is a G meter. Since we don't start blacking out when we pull 6g's, and we can't feel accelerated stalls, we should have the option to visualize this information.
      • We all have our desirements. That said, the current hardware is limited in capacity.

For me, if I had to pick a bare minimum, they would be; Speed, Altitude, Bank Indicator (turn coordination indicator is fine but not essential for me) and lastly, our "gas gauge" mAh used/remaining.

One day, someone will come out with a color, hi res, very customizable minimOSD but for now, our $10-14 little guy brings me happiness.

• Of course I agree with you, accelerometer readings are not a priority. My suggestion was with the understanding that Miguel is developing a CT Tool that will compile firmware according to each persons desires. Then each person can choose how they want to spend each precious byte.
          If the such a tool is too complex to build, we could go with the model that many other arduino projects use, and have the user comment out the panels they don't need. I don't use the artificial horizon, so I have a lot of extra bytes to shop with. I want to spend them.
      • I hear you!

Thanks all for your replies. I'll start using percentage/capacity used more then. :)

• Hello everyone,

is there a chance that this project will move to GitHub?

I think its a great place for bug reporting and develop diskussions 

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Axel

• I agree. DIYDrones' "forum" is ridiculus. shows 5 posts per page, you can't search in a "thread" etc etc...

This reply was deleted.

Activity