Antena for 3DR 915MHz TX Radio

I am building a small Tricopter. I purchased a 3DR telemetry kit from eBay to go with my APM 2.6 board. It comes with an antenna that looks like a 2.4GHz antenna from a router. I don't know much about antennas, but from what I do know, the antenna should be longer, as it's 915MHz, rather then 2.4Ghz. Also, it weighs a lot, at least a lot for the little Tri I am building.

I would like to convert it to a wire antenna. Is this a good idea. Any recommendations about how to go about it and what length it should be?

Thank you!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hector hind said:

open it up and look , ive got afew 915mhz kits now and they have all come with little dipole antennas that say 2.4 on them but when i rip the top off they are indeed wound copper 915mhz antenna's!

yep , true ,but its not copper, its3702349833?profile=original an alloy and its like a spring, half of it is like stretched, internal diameter 3.5mm

• open it up and look , ive got afew 915mhz kits now and they have all come with little dipole antennas that say 2.4 on them but when i rip the top off they are indeed wound copper 915mhz antenna's!

• It's very easy to make a dipole antenna, and very worthwhile.
    Read this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159968
    • Thanks! That link is really extensive. I am going to build one of those V dipoles for my telemetry, and maybe for my RX. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity