APM 2.5 + 3DR Telemetry + MinimOSD

APM 2.5 plus the 3DR radio telemetry works great, now I want to add my MinimOSD board.

The MinimOSD board reads MAVLink messages from its RX pin and request rates from APM on the ArduPilot "telem" port. (Port 0 implied). The APM2.5 board 3DR radio connector (UART0/2) pin out from the board edge counting inward is: Gnd, (blank) RX, TX, +5V.

The MinimOSD Introduction has a diagram which states APM telemetry port (pins sequence from bottom) (shows bottom of block diagram of Port) This presumes that it is also board edge of back of APM2.5  and shows (APM pins) counting inward as:  Gnd, (space) +5v, out, in.  (out to rx of OSD, in to TX on OSD). The silk screen on the APM2.5 is clear, and I believe +5v is the most inside (away from edge) pin of Port 0. Should I just wire my OSD up based on what the APM says about Port 0 pins?

Is the diagram in MinimOSD introduction wrong on its cabling to APM telem port?

I am eager to add my MinimOSD to my build, but do not want to fry or brick my OSD.

Hope this helps someone in clearing this up somehow.

It would have been handy to have had another connector like 3DR for the feed to the MinimOSD.

In the meantime I guess I just hack into my 3DR cable or solder to tiny pins on back of APM2.5.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ground radio connected by usb & air radio by FTDI with usb to..
              Load settings... same parameters and save settings..

But connect air radio to APM...bouncing on "getting parameters"...

image.jpg

• If you don't have SOLID green LED - there is no reason to try to connect to APM.

If you're sure about params - I suspect hardware failure, try to replace radios.

Beside this - hot glue on antenna connector isn't good idea...

• Try a lot of times...with FTDI connected to air radio..save settings etc etc...everything good and pair...but when connect to APM not working any more...
              • Are you sure you have same settings on both units? Show printscreens for both just after successful "Load settings".

• Hello! Before posting this I have searched several forums and maybe we have the same problem. I would like to use the OSD and telemetry at the same time... I have already spent many hours on it without success but previously already configured it successfully on my quad using another APM 2.5 board.  I am now struggling with the mini APM from HK using the latest version of APM:Plane.

Since I have observed some contradicting information regarding the routing for the split cable connecting APM to Telemetry radio and OSD I have decided to try some different combination. Here are my observations:

A) Both Telemetry and OSD works fine when connected independently.

B) OSD is being powered from both sides 5v and 12v.

C) When telemetry and OSD are connected simultaneously using APM TX connected on OSD RX. Result = Telemetry working normal and OSD displays the values frozen on zero.

D) When telemetry and OSD are connected simultaneously using APM TX connected on OSD TX. Result = Telemetry working normal and OSD displays “ No Mav Data!”

E) When telemetry and OSD are connected simultaneously using APM RX connected on OSD RX. Result = Telemetry stop working and OSD working normal”

F) When telemetry and OSD are connected simultaneously using APM RX connected on OSD TX. Result = Telemetry stop working and OSD displays“ No Mav Data!”

My understanding is that F) is supposed to be the correct configuration, however, it looks like that when APM RX is connected to the Minim OSD it “draws” the signal from telemetry radio. The red LED from telemetry gets very weak and the communication with computer stops. If pressed the Minim OSD reset button the telemetry start to work immediately…

I have already tried:

- Different configuration on SR0 and SR1. (SR3 not present on APM:Plane)

- Hit the OSD button on Mission planner.

- Different software versions on MinimOSD.

- I am currently using an MAVLink-OSD V2.0 from eBAY but the same result were obtained with a MinimOSD from HK V1.1.

Anny suggestions?

Thank you!!

• Once you have it all hooked up hit the reset button on the OSD board, Im running the HKpilot mini 2.5 on my plane.

Heres my set up3702762415?profile=original

• Thank you, but that is not the same setup that I was referring get to.

• Like wise with many of the posts on this blog, I have connected my 3DR Telem directly into the APM +2.5 telem port and have spliced into the RX, 5V and GND wires to run my MinimOSD 1.1.

My problem is somewhat different to everyone elses, in that when power is applied to all three units the 3DR telem will not communicate with the GCS.  It's only when I unplug the MinimOSD that the 3DR will boot up and communicate with the GCS.

Any clues as to what the problem may be, I'm beginner at this.  Running APM in ArduCopter mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

• is there a chance somebody can help me with minim OSD too? 

My minim osd problem. I get it to display orientation, gps status and home arrows, but no other fields show data. Any help? everything set up according to arduplane wiki (apm 2.5, arduplane  2.7.3)

rx, gnd and +5 connected parallel to telemetry.

• I have minimosd v1.1. I have the solder points jumped and running off 12v battery.  It's plugged into the apm 2.5.  I can see video going thru fine but no osd. I mean nothing not just 0's but no graphics at all. Also i can see a tiny led labeled ST flashing rapidly.  Any ideas?  Thanks

This reply was deleted.

Activity