APM 2.6 v3.0.1: Refuses to ARM, won't say why

I've had to disable the Pre-ARM checks on my APM (Y6 f/w 3.0.1) because it will not arm.

The confusing part is that it won't say *why* it doesn't arm.

I have Mission Planner running, via 3DR telemetry, and the obvious causes do report on the screen on the first arm attempt.  (No GPS lock, etc).

With full GPS lock, all systems calibrated, and everything ready to go, it stays Disarmed.  The screen does not show a reason for the failure to ARM.

If I disable the pre-ARM checks, then it does ARM and fly correctly in Stable/AltHold/Loiter.

Is there any way to discern from the logs or other data why the Pre-ARM check is failing?


You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –


  • you are lucky , me, disabling the pre-arm check won't do anything left stick down - right , nothing happen...

  • I had a similar issue that said 'GPS offsets are too high."  I had offsets that were anywhere from x209.425  y:562.593  z:-269.064  to x:2184.240 y:2036.103 z:10084.349 and greater. Turns out I had my GPS mounted backwards on the craft.  (other things I read suggested that you might have it mounted upside down - for which you'd have to select the appropriate No Roll, or ROLL_180 type of setting.)  So for me I had to turn my GPS unit 180 and then my all my offsets dropped to below 100.

  • I have the same problem! but i try to arm in room without GPS unit!  Must connect a gps unit before arming?

  • Hi,

    I had a similar issue. I figured out the problem lies in both hardware not software.
    Looking at the schematic from 2.5 to 2.6 there is something missing ... The compass. Hence the reason it is not healthy.
    Looking at this: https://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/MagAPM2 The jumper in 2.6 is cut already.
    Also if you look below, the compass chip isn't there in 2.6
    The reason for this is apparently too much 'Magnetic interference'
    I haven't been able to get the 3.01 v working ... i dont know why :/

    But i downloaded the 2.9 version from: https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot

    Got that to work so long as MAG_ENABLE = 0 (i tried just doing this on 3.01 but no dice)

    I think there may be a bug in the code (which i haven't found yet) which assumes you are using the external gps/compass

    Or something in the pre-arm checks ... not sure, but the root of the problem is the compass isn't healthy cause it isn't there!!!


  • I took a look in the code, and found the following reasons why pre_arm_check could fail:

    RC not calibrated

    INS not calibrated

    PreArm: Compass not healthy

    Compass not calibrated

    Compass offsets too high

    Check mag field

    No GPS Lock (fence)

    Baro not healthy

    Check Board Voltage (PX4)

    Each failure has a text report, so all I can figure is that the pre-arm check is failing with display_failure false, perhaps before the serial link is up to display the text?

    The checks are called with no display in the super_slow_loop(), so it's not clear if the same arm failure reason would later display when I attempt to ARM.  Anyone know?

This reply was deleted.


DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: My talk on PX4 and FAA certification is coming up at 1:45 PST today on the PX4 Dev Summit livestream. Includes some cool new st…
DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @seesharp: I'm tuned into the PX4 / Dronecode free live conference. Great stuff. Microsoft AirSim talk in 10 minutes. https://t.co/0zbZ2…
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @masato_ka: 距離センサを3つとESP32を付けたラジコンカーをDonkeyCarライクにNNで自動走行。3層FC極小モデルをTensorFlow Lite for microcontrollerで動かしてる。機体は借り物でRumiCarって言います。Tenso…
Jul 5
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: My car was able to go all the way autonomously until the crosswalk. It was only 100 yards from the target. What should b…
Jul 4
Liam left a comment on Agricultural UAVs
I'm Liam from T-MOTOR. I would like to reach out to see if there is any possibility for us to work together.
We are a propulsion system manufacturer who offers motors, propellers and ESCs for all kinds of drone applications which vary from secur…"
Jun 30
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Smart move. The car used the shadow to guide it through the bridge. This was never in the training samples. But it learn…
Jun 30
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Getting closer to the target. Single camera. Untrained road. https://t.co/Wsr7RwDamj
Jun 29
Richard Cox left a comment on Australia
"Anyone in the DIYDRONES Australian subgroup based in Alice Springs, NT?
I am experimenting with Ardupilot (standard Arduplane), Pixhawk 4 FC in a 4-ch
RC "AXN Floater Jet" foamy plane..."
Jun 29
Omar Sykes left a comment on Australia
"Hi everyone, I am looking for someone who is good at drone building, repair and software in Adelaide. Please give me a call on 0477 319 219."
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @RoboticMasters: #donkeycar https://t.co/czuLoVRcA4
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @RoboticMasters: Donkey car, car car car car car car; Donkey car, car car car car car car; Donkey Car. Anyone like our tiny tiny donkey…
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: After improving DBSCAN speed, I can get 11 frame per second on @NVIDIAEmbedded Jerson Xavier MAXN mode and the autonomou…
Jun 26
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @Heavy02011: Join us at next Virtual Race League: ⁦@diyrobocars⁩ Race #4 - Parking Lot Nerds, August 1st https://t.co/5KUpu7VGaH
Jun 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: #CUDA implementation should be easy, because most of the time is on distance calculations berween two points and if the…
Jun 25
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: This is the view from the car. Even my lanenet inference is fast on @NVIDIAEmbedded Jerson Xavier, DBSCAN clustering tak…
Jun 25