APM 3.1-rc4 yaw PID tuning

Guys,

I need some help in setting up yaw PID's. My TBS Discovery with APM2.6 has a poor yaw performance. It seems not very locked and what is most annoying it is slowly oscillating which is most visible in onboard video footage.

To get to the root of the problem I did some log analysis and found that actual_yaw is indeed tracking nav_yaw but leaves some +-3 degrees slow oscillations. Please have a look at this log screen and my current PID's. Any ideas where to start or how to systematically set up the yaw PID's?

Thanks,

Michael

3691071260?profile=original

3691071380?profile=original

tailwag.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rate YAW P 0.25-stab yaw 5.0 
      Worked GREAT

3702487544?profile=original

Rate YAW P 0.10-stab yaw 5.0

Looks not as good but okay

3702487611?profile=original

Rate YAW P 0.10-stab yaw 1.0

1.0 in the Stabilize P made it rock like a drunk driver, landing was hard as it was swaying

3702487591?profile=original

• wow man, thank you very much, I was gonna do it myself tonight with my F450 but you saved me a lot of time, hopefully I can get my frame as stable too

• Michael, I am having the exact same issue, with a TBS Disco Pro.

So I'm a little confused

P: 0.2
    I: 0.02 (1/10th p)
    D: 0
    IMAX: 8

Are we saying bump up the P to say 0.3 and leave the rest as is to see if in stops it?

Can you post your latest PIDs doe yaw P/I/D/Imax

Here is what I have

3701718326?profile=original

• This is my current PID's

3702487234?profile=original

• Thank you very much for such a prompt reply, I hope it stops my oscillation, this has been driving me nuts.

So it sounds like the more I increase the P the less oscillation, not really sure what the I does, but with increase risk of waypoint overshoot.

here was mine :(

Once again thank you for taking the time, I'll try it out in the morning.

• plz post videos after the PID change, also I think the max number for the YAW P is 0.3

• I still wonder, does

less P = less oscillation 

or

more P = less oscillation

• Oh dang yea, I hope that wont cause it to be uncontrollable, actually 0.25 is the max, I wonder if anything over 2.5 actually does anything?  Guess Ill change it to 2.5 as I don't want to crash

Yaw axis rate controller P gain (ArduCopter:RATE_YAW_P)

Yaw axis rate controller P gain. Converts the difference between desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate into a motor speed output

• Range: 0.150 0.250
            • Increment: 0.005

Yaw axis rate controller I gain (ArduCopter:RATE_YAW_I)

Yaw axis rate controller I gain. Corrects long-term difference in desired yaw rate vs actual yaw rate

• Range: 0.010 0.020
            • Increment: 0.01

Yaw axis rate controller I gain maximum (ArduCopter:RATE_YAW_IMAX)

Yaw axis rate controller I gain maximum. Constrains the maximum motor output that the I gain will output

• Range: 0 800
            • Increment: 10
            • Units: Percent*10
  • Can you share your YAW PIDs please, how is it working so far?

• Developer

When tuning the yaw I would suggest keeping the Rate I term 1/10 the Rate P term to keep the overshoot after a yaw command, to an acceptable level.

Start with the Rate D set to zero. Increase Rate P on the slider between something like 0.25 and 1. If this doesn't help you can increase the Stab P term but don't go over about 8 without doing an AutoTune to see what the maximum safe value is.

This reply was deleted.

Activity