Developer

APM Copter 2.9.1.b has been released

3691010694?profile=original

APM Copter 2.9.1.b has been released to the Mission Planner and is also posted in the downloads area.
2.9.1b is a maintenance release incorporating changes to 4 default parameters that have been optimized since 2.9.1 was released.  There are also 4 minor bug fixes.  There are no code function changes or additional features.

The changes are:
1) reduce default INS_MPU6K_FILTER to 20hz
2) reduce InertialNav Z-axis time constant to 5 (was 7)
3) increased max InertialNav accel correction to 3 m/s (was 1m/s)
4) reduce yaw_rate P default to 0.20 (was 0.25)
5) bug fix for alt_hold being passed as int16_t to get_throttle_althold_with_slew which might have caused problems if you climbed over 320m.
6) bug fix for throttle after acro flip (was being kept at min throttle if pilot switched out of ACRO mode while inverted)
7) bug fix to acro trainer to do with roll correction 
8) prevent cli from being entered more than 20seconds after reboot.

Users are recommended to:
    Update Mission Planner to 1.2.41 and
    Update their flight code to 2.9.1b from the Firmware tab on Mission Planner. There is no need to go through a new configuration process in the Mission Planner.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am downloading logs to investigate a suspected "GPS failure" while loitering with 3rc4, and I noticed a new checkbox "is Arducopter?" in the log download dialog. What does that do?

• Developer
         Ok, -rc4 was good but had a short life sadly because of the LAND flight mode bug.  -rc5 is in the downloads area and should appear in the mission planner's "Beta firmwares" link shortly as well.  I've put the change notes for both -rc4 and -rc5 below.  All feedback welcome of course!
    ArduCopter 3.0.0-rc5
    Improvements over 3.0.0-rc4
    1) bug fix to LAND flight mode in which it could try to fly to mission's next waypoint location
    2) bug fix to Circle mode to allow counter-clockwise rotation
    3) bug fix to heading change in Loiter, RTL, Missions when pilot's throttle is zero
    4) bug fix for mission sticking at take-off command when pilot's throttle is zero
    5) bug fix for parameters not saving when new value is same as default value
    6) reduce pre-arm board min voltage check to 4.3V (was 4.5V)
    7) remove throttle controller's ability to limit lean angle in loiter, rtl, auto
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    ArduCopter 3.0.0-rc4
    Improvements over 3.0.0-rc3
    1) loiter improvements:
         i) repositioning enhanced with feed forward
         ii) use tan to convert desired accel to lean angle
    2) stability patch improvements for high powered copters or those with roll-pitch rate gains set too high
    3) auto mode vertical speed fix (it was not reaching the desired speeds)
    4) alt hold smoothed by filtering feed forward input
    5) circle mode fix to initial position and smoother initialisation
    6) RTL returns to initial yaw heading before descending
    7) safe features:
        i) check for gps lock when entering failsafe
        ii) pre-arm check for mag field lenght
        iii) pre-arm check for board voltage between 4.5v ~ 5.8V
        iv) beep twice during arming
        v) GPS failsafe enabled by default (will LAND if loses GPS in Loiter, AUTO, Guided modes)
        vi) bug fix for alt-hold mode spinning motors before pilot has raised throttle
    8) bug fixes:
        i) fixed position mode so it responding to pilot input
        ii) baro cli test
        iii) moved cli motor test to test sub menu and minor change to throttle output
        iv) guided mode yaw control fix
  • Is it possible that the latest version of Mission Planner is not changing flight mode assignment properly? Just loaded RC4 onto one of my quads and took into the yard to try it out.

I changed my flight modes to:

Stabilize

Stabilize

Alt Hold

Loiter

Land

Land

The last two had been AUTO and RTL. I saved the changes.

Flew it around and it was doing OK - alt hold was solid - though loiter totally sucked. Switched to Land to see how it handled that and the thing took off at very high speed straight into the roof of the house where all four props and motor mounts were destroyed before I could kill everything.

I quit out of MP and re-ran it and reconnected and the flight modes are showing as what I had them set for - with LAND as the last two modes.

I have no idea what happened, but it acts like the change was not written to the APM and when I hit LAND, it went into AUTO and tried to zoom off to a very far away way point. 

• Finally got some time outside this weekend. Tried out RC4 on my lightweight quad - alt hold is VERY good. Loiter also very good - even in a breeze (this quad is kind of a kite usually). One thing I noted was that trying to reposition it in loiter was pretty close to impossible. As soon as I would move the quad, it would begin see-sawing - looked kind of like it was either a pendulem or balanced on a stick - hard to describe. But it was startling enough that I didn't push it. Is this expected behavior? Perhaps I need to tune something to get rid of this? With all the changes to Loiter, it may jsut be that repositioning in Loiter simply is no longer a valid option - which is fine - but I figure If I don't ask I won't know :)

But really, the overall performance was great. This cheap little beat up quad now flies like something WAY pricier.

• Hi Randy,

In the new RC4 release,

Does this also apply to guided mode?

I'm still on v2.9.1b...But will be testing RC4 in a few days.
    One thing I noticed in Guided mode, is that soon as its activated, the copter turns torwards me.
    It would be nice if it just stayed oriented in the same direction when Guided mode was first activated.

Also in Guided mode.  The copter seems to drop to about 3 feet off the ground and hover there.
    Is there a separate Alt for Guided mode setting?

Basically what happens now, is that I activate Guided mode,
    the copter turns towards me and drops to 3 feet into a hover.

Thanks

• Is there any reason I can't enable RAW in RC4?  I try to enable it but nothing happens.  Nothing in logs either.  I went back to 2.9.1b and got RAW back, then went back to RC4 and no RAW.    No more RAW logging in v3?

Thanks!

• I'm using 2.9.1.b with APM2.5.4, ublox and just installed a gimbal. When I boot it up I can see the HUD moving around and also the gimbal responding. At first I thought it was some interference on my gimbal servo lines but then connected via MP and noticed that it looks like it's moving around even though it's perfectly still and unarmed. What would cause that? I'm using the RC11 on tilt and RC10 on roll. Copter flies fine but I think this might interfere with the camera stabilization?

• Developer

Hey guys,

I'm running rc4 on my tricopter, not flown it before. I'm mostly into quads and hexas, so this is a new airframe for me.

I'm having a tiny problem, the yaw servo is not perfectly centered at startup or when armed. I don't know if this is normal behaviour or whether it will be fine when it flying...

Or perhaps I have to auto-trim it when its in the air to trim the yaw servo?

• Developer
         I've just push ArduCopter-rc4 into the new downloads area and GitHub and it should appear in the MissionPlanner's beta links shortly.
    Improvements over 3.0.0-rc3
    1) loiter improvements:
         i) repositioning enhanced with feed forward
         ii) use tan to convert desired accel to lean angle
    2) stability patch improvements for high powered copters or those with roll-pitch rate gains set too high
    3) auto mode vertical speed fix (it was not reaching the desired speeds)
    4) alt hold smoothed by filtering feed forward input
    5) circle mode fix to initial position and smoother initialisation
    7) safe features:
        i) check for gps lock when entering failsafe
        ii) pre-arm check for mag field lenght
        iii) pre-arm check for board voltage between 4.5v ~ 5.8V
        iv) beep twice during arming
        v) GPS failsafe enabled by default (will LAND if loses GPS in Loiter, AUTO, Guided modes)
        vi) bug fix for alt-hold mode spinning motors before pilot has raised throttle
    8) bug fixes:
        i) fixed position mode so it responding to pilot input
        ii) baro cli test
        iii) moved cli motor test to test sub menu and minor change to throttle output
        iv) guided mode yaw control fix

Hopefully this will be very close to the version that becomes the official 3.0 release in MissionPlanner.  All feedback welcome!

• Hi again Dev_Team!

Cannot wait Final Release AC3! Anyway, I had a problem earlier with Diode D1, changed and everything is ok till then. But now, there is oposite side problem, my reciever died by my fault, and with other receiver no way to "talk" with apm2.5 (2.91b). Apm itself is alive, usb comunicable etc. What would be the answer?

Thanx in adv!

Ivan

This reply was deleted.

Activity