parrot ar drone 2.0 mod (autonomous drone with live OSD)

ok so i have a budget of about $650, obviously i cant get a 3D robotics arducopter , though i admit it is probably the best uav. 

First Off, i do not know a lot about hands on electrical engineering, and what i want is a completely autonomous UAV that can fly for 12 min+ (preferably multicopter though open to new ideas),has OSD live video, is with reliable GPS and not too hard to make. 

i was thinking the parrot ar drone 2.0 ($300) but the battery life is not that great. If i did id get a $50 battery double of that drones normal mAH (1k > 2k). Now if i have to resort to the flight recorder (which i don't really trust to be great) and qgroundcontrol i will, but i really want to know maybe an brief explanation to get Ardupilot Mega 2.6 on the A.r. drone to make it compatible with mission planner. I don't know how to do it nor do i know if its possible. I really want to know alternatives to the ar drone 2.0 with flight recorder that use APM.

so, a few questions:

1. Can you put the APM 2.6 on any rc multicopter that can hold its weight?

***2. Are there any other options or alternatives that could do what i wanted and are within the budget?

3. Can you put APM 2.6 on a parrot ar drone to have it work with mission planner? and maybe brief explanation?

---Optional  ( if you know ) but appreciated:----

4. how does parrot ar drone fly compared to the arducopter quad?

5. general thoughts on parrot ar drone as a drone and other ideas for < $400 High Quality FPV/OSD multicopters

6. General thoughts on ar drone with upgraded battery and APM 2.6 (maybe vs the flight recorder/qgroundcontrol)

i know its a lot to ask but i'd greatly appreciate it if you guys can tell me if its possible to do that.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Rick,

The easiest way to get started is with the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 with almost any 1500 mAh

battery that will fit. Try it before you fly it. Having said that, the DJI Phantom (family of products)

is the best way to get started...more and bigger learning curves to the Phantom, but, a better choice,

in the long run. Why? The WiFi range of the Parrot is about 40-50 meter, whereas the range of the

Phantom is 500-800 meters, and the Phantom is all-around more robust. The DIY realm is more

for folks who are capable of qualifying for an Advanced HAM Radio License..IMO

-peter

• You can buy a deadcat kit from HobbyKing for about $40. Add 4x Afro 20 or 30 ESC which are about $80. I cant quite recall the current price for the APM 2.6 but im confident you can buy an APM 2.6 + 4 x 880 motors + external gps compass for less than $300 from 3DR. This still leaves you 230 or so to buy a camera and a video transmitter and receiver. Unfortunately you have just about run out of money after buying a transmitter and still need some goggles and the minimosd.

I wouldnt bother with a parrot, they work via WIFI which means you really have next to no practical range. Its also too light which means it gets thrown about in any sort of breeze.

This reply was deleted.

Activity