Developer

APM Planner Feature you might have missed

Hi everybody,

i thought i might do a post on some feature that most people may not know about. so here goes.

1. HUD, if you double click the hud it will popout, allowing you to run the hud full screen, on a seconds screen.

2. Tuning, if you enable tuning and double click tuning you can graph any data that is availbale in the status tab. this means you can have alt, attitude, or many other options. in real time.

3. Speed Guage, double click this and you can modify the max scale you want to display.

4. Nmea output to serial port, press control-g and you wil get a box asking for a comport and baud rate to output standard nmea data at 2 hz, to any serial port. ie use com2com to emulate a serial port to use with third party applications.

5. Custom imagery, press control-F  this allows you to upload your own orthophotos. use will require Globalmapper, as this is currently one of the key steps in exporting in the required format for use in the planner.

6. Prefetch, this is on the flight planner tab and allows you to draw a box to download the selected imagery of a location, so you dont require internet while your at the field.

7. Grid, this is on the flight planner tab to, this allows you to draw a polygon (right click) and automaticly create waypoints over the selected area. NOTE there is no island detection, other advanced polygon features.

8. Setting your home location to the current location is easy, just click "Home Location" above where you enter your home location, and it will set your home location to the current coords.

Hopefully you find some of this useful.

Michael

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm using a macbook pro and planner 1.1.13 and want to start using the HUD with FPV video behind it. I've turned it on and selected my built in camera to see how it works and now want to connect the output of my Duo5800 5.8GHz A/V Rx but I know I will need a video input device for the mac. Is there a preferred one for this type of video input? It's just a composite yellow cable. Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/EZgrabber2-Capture-Uploading-Conversion-Gamep...

• Hi, more one suggestion:

The KML Overlay feature could be extended to overlay the flying map too? This will be helpfull to see the "geofence" of a challenge event like UAV Outback Challenge ;-).

kind regards,

Omar 

• Great post and valuable information!!

• Hi All, some more suggestions:

- Prefetch in the Mission Planing tab. Currently it ask for each zoom level. An option could be to the user to chose to download all zoom levels without to answer each level (auto Yes or to chose the zoom range);

- Search Location in the Mission Planing tab. like that one in the Legacy missiona planing search. The suggestion for search is already in this link too:

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/possibilty-to-search-for-a-map-lo...

- TCP/IP connection for external software provide some Command control according with attitude values. For example: an external program running an image processing for the video comming from airframe Video TX, could process the image together with attitude values (lat,lon,alt, roll, pitch, yaw, speed, ...) from the TCP connection with the planner. This program could send then to Planner a command like: go to this wp or pint camera to this place. In other words, The same current plannr options on click and go could be provided by an external program. 

Regards, Omar

• Hi Michael;

How can i set up my Mission Planner to look like this one http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/MPGCS i.e. to have the HUD at the buttom and the gauges at the top and the staus on the top. I do know that if i double click the HUD i can move it but i can not move the gauges as per your picture in the link.

Thanks

• 100KM

Great features !!!  Only 6 and 8 were known to me and I was looking since long to expand the hud !

Great work !!!

Michael: A quick question. If I set the home location in the mission planner, then disconnect the board from usb and power it up via a battery and arm the motors. Is the home location reset to where I armed the motors?

Btw: Having the HUD display on the second monitor is an awesome ground station feature.

• Wow! Thx Michael! I didn't know that number 4 feature exists :)

• 3D Robotics

Can you explain this a bit more? "NOTE there is no island detection, other advanced polygon features."

• 3D Robotics

Sweet! I'll copy this to the manual.

This reply was deleted.

Activity