Developer

APM Planner Feature you might have missed

Hi everybody,

i thought i might do a post on some feature that most people may not know about. so here goes.

1. HUD, if you double click the hud it will popout, allowing you to run the hud full screen, on a seconds screen.

2. Tuning, if you enable tuning and double click tuning you can graph any data that is availbale in the status tab. this means you can have alt, attitude, or many other options. in real time.

3. Speed Guage, double click this and you can modify the max scale you want to display.

4. Nmea output to serial port, press control-g and you wil get a box asking for a comport and baud rate to output standard nmea data at 2 hz, to any serial port. ie use com2com to emulate a serial port to use with third party applications.

5. Custom imagery, press control-F  this allows you to upload your own orthophotos. use will require Globalmapper, as this is currently one of the key steps in exporting in the required format for use in the planner.

6. Prefetch, this is on the flight planner tab and allows you to draw a box to download the selected imagery of a location, so you dont require internet while your at the field.

7. Grid, this is on the flight planner tab to, this allows you to draw a polygon (right click) and automaticly create waypoints over the selected area. NOTE there is no island detection, other advanced polygon features.

8. Setting your home location to the current location is easy, just click "Home Location" above where you enter your home location, and it will set your home location to the current coords.

Hopefully you find some of this useful.

Michael

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi All, Another sugestion:

If APM is set to use throthel Fail safe, if it leaves out RC range, it engages RTL. If RC signal restores, APM is automaticaly set to the current mode from the switch mode. I forgot myself this behaviour 2 times.

Could I suggest to APM Planner to present some alert in case there are at least one mission point far away from home when the throtle fail safe condition is turned on?

regards,

Omar

• Hello!

I'm a new member to this community and I recently acquire an APM 2.0 Purple and my goal is to use the APM 2.0 and the APM Planner to visualize in flight data.

I need help, besides all the information displayed in the HUD display it is possible to add to the gauges tab or to the HUD display the information regarding Acceleration in the 3 axis (G-load) and pressure and temperature from the MS5611 Pressure Sensor built in the APM 2.0?

Best regards

André Marques

• Another suggestion:

An ACTION to command FLIGHT_TERMINATION.

MAVlink Packets like this could be used for those ones participating UVA Outback Challenge and are changing APM code for it ;-). Or to command the same IO pin the current APM code allows.

regards,

Omar

• New battery Monitor suggestion:Monitor 2, 3 or 4 Batteries

Would it be possible to monitor up to 4 batteries?

For example, to use the AN1 for bat 3S, AN2 for bat 2S, AN3 for other bat 3S and AN4 for a Battery of 6S, each one, if necessary to use an AttoPilot sensor. The APM Planner Battery monitor screen would present a Drop box to choose what AN port is being used or a kind of combination AN1&AN2 = volts & amps for bat 1 whiles AN3&AN4= volts & amps for battery 2. HUD will have more info for batteries and Status the AN* current values. Don't how about logs and how about APM required changes for that. Anyway having that turns APM/Planner more flexible about battery usage if you have high power batteries for motor, other for autopiltots, redundancy.

regards, Omar

• Hi Michael,

may you give me please some information about antenna tracker settings?(CTRL-F)

Thanks a lot!

• Hi, a question.

I was running 1.1.48 on this laptop, and clicking on "check for upgrades" had no effect.

Downloaded 1.1.55, installed it, and it seems to function correctly ?

• In regards to #4. "Nmea output to serial port, press control-g and you wil get a box asking for a comport and baud rate to output standard nmea data at 2 hz, to any serial port. ie use com2com to emulate a serial port to use with third party applications.",

how can another program (written in Python, for example) and running on the same PC, get the NMEA data from Planner?

Great post by the way, thanks!

Dan

• Hi Michael, there is a new suggestion:

- status in Configuration screen. Some times during PID configuration as well other parameter that requires tuning we, still in configuration screen for some time. Besides it is a configuration screen, by having some values like Altitude, Speed, GPS, Bat and "RSSI", will be great during that period while in the configuration screen.

regards,

Omar

• This is a really great piece of software, what an effort it must have taken.

Any chance of compiling a version that would run under Android on a tablet computer?

• Is their any option to change the map orientation on the navigation tab to something other than North up? Sometimes a 'course up' or a 'track up' orientation would be handy.

This reply was deleted.

Activity