i am currently using the apm 2.6 autopilot system with a turnigy 9x radio. I have put three modes on the autopilot for my rover. They are auto, steering, and manual. In manual, the car drives perfectly fine. But, in auto or steering the cars front wheels swerve back and forth. We have tried it on the pixhawk as well and the same issue occured. I am thinking it might be because the traxxas has two steering servos intead of one? Does anyone else have this problem or has fixed a similiar problem. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• the issiue is fixed bc we moved the autopilot up to the front of the rover and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help everyone

• Admin

@James,

Here is a picture of my Traxxas E-Maxx. Please note where the APM and the GPS/Compass module are mounted in relation to the mid-mounted brushless NEU motor.

3701751507?profile=originalRegards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

• the swerving still occurs when the autopilot is completely away from the motor. It only happens in steering and auto. Can you let your rover in steering and see if it swerves or anything?

• If it's misbehaving in STEERING mode then it's a problem with:

1) Compass proximty to motor

2) STEER2SRV_P

3) STEER2SRV_I

4) STEER2SRV_D

Have you set the P,I, and D values iaw the guide?

Go to the "status" tab in MP, prop the rover up so the wheels are off the ground, and watch the "mag_x", "mag_y" and "mag_z" values as you throttle it up and down. Compare how those three move (if at all) to how much they move as you turn the rover 45 degrees to each side.  If the motor-driven changes are appreciable compared to moving the whole rover, you may need to move the APM further from the motor. 

• What's your compass setup - where, what orientation is set in the SW, and have you done the compass cal?

If you drive it manually in a straight line, do the red and black lines in MP line up?  Do they STAY lined up after you stop?

Does the indicated heading match actual, and how does it react if you turn it 90 degrees?

• Yes - I done the compass cal and the actual heading matches what is the flight data. 

I will need to check if the red and black lines match. If they don't could it be a problem ?

• the swerving still continues in steering and auto  mode. But, when  you move the auto pilot itself from side to side the tries turn as well with the auto pilot. So, does this mean that the autopilot is to close to the engine causing the swerve to happen? Also, when the wheels are off the ground it doesnt zigzag. 

• Admin

@James,

Are you using sonars on your rover by any chance?

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

• Put it in STEERING mode and check that it actually turns the way you intend when you move the steering stick. You may have the steering direction reversed.  If so, reverse the steering in the radio calibration. You'll also have to reverse it again on the radio itself.

• Hi - this work ok I put it in steering mode and rover turns the way that intend.

thanks

This reply was deleted.

Activity