BRArduPilotMega032.jpgWarning: If you power the APM 2.5 from a BEC you should include the diode fix used on the APM 2! It drops the voltage to 5.5V which is what the 3DR Power Module does!

I've noticed a lot of USB connect issues lately and I have found some solutions. There are and could be several reasons for this. It could be hardware or software. It might be the connector on the board. It might be PPM and it might be something else. So if we all get together in one place we might have better luck solving these issues. So if you have a connect problem let's get to work on it here. Please be civil with me and I'll try and help. Together I think we can work this out. I don't care if you have a clone. Has nothing to do with finding a solution as far as I'm concerned. Be prepared to get dirty and have your camera ready and send screen shots too. Thanks let's fix this.

First things to try: PORT CONNECTIONS and COM PORT

Check com Port Speed in Mission Planner (115200)

Make sure of Com Port in Device Manager.

Turn off Bluetooth.

Remove any USB Devices you can.

Swap around USB ports.

Try a different USB cable.

Second things to try: SOFTWARE and DEVICE DRIVERS

Mission Planner checks for updates when it starts (if connected to the internet). Have you checked for Updates?

If Mission Planner just updated run threw the Port Connection and Com Port checks first.

Try installing USB Driver http://ardupilot.com/downloads/?did=19 (APM 2)

If you have another PC install Mission Planner on it and see if it works on it.

Uninstall Mission Planner and reinstall from MSI http://ardupilot.com/downloads/#Mission_Planner_3_raquo

If you having HUD display not moving problems-

Try installing latest STABLE FIRMWARE BUILD from http://firmware.diydrones.com/

Third things to try: FIRMWARE AND HARDWARE FIXES

CAUTION: USE THESE FIXES ONLY AFTER ASKING FOR HELP! IF YOU ARE IN WARRANTY CONTACT 3DR or SELLER of your board FIRST!

Update/Reflash PPM Firmware

APM 2 http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/APM2Encoder

APM 1 http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/APM1Encoder

IF YOU GET THIS FAR ORDER A NEW APM!

Mission Planner woes!

Make sure you have this font.

http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arialn.html

If you need to uninstall and reinstall Mission Planner

Make sure you go into device manager and uninstall the USB driver!

Make sure you have the proper .NET installed for Mission Planner (4.0 for the latest)

Make sure you install the MSI Mission Planner.

Make sure you reboot after making changes.

(Edit) THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!

I now offer a service to repair your APM for a $20 flat rate. If you send me your APM along with $20 and a self addressed return envelope with postage so I can return your APM to you if I can repair it or not. If I can't repair it I'll return $10 to you along with your APM.

Monroe King

995 CR 3040

Lampasas, Texas

I'll be posting photo's/videos of repairs so others can learn too.

I'm working on JTAG and UART0 work arounds that may give acceptable results for some.

Warning: Do not exceed Abs MAX input voltages when connecting the power supply or you will damage your board.
Warning: Connecting USB when you have input voltages at the high end of the range (near Abs Max) can damage the board. Disconnect battery before connecting USB or test input voltages so they are within the specified range.

Power OptionsNominalAbs MAXJP1 status
Power on Output PWM connector5.37V +-0.56VJP1 connected
Power on Input PWM connector5.00V +-0.255.5VJP1 connected

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Mr ...Monroe King

My APM 2.8 has developed an issue ....when i plug the APM into the PC five LEDs light up, they are -> One green next to the GPS connector, Two orange next each other and next the green led, One Red LED next to the USB connector. The remain on ....no flashing or blinking what so ever,  a red and blue led flashing at the output end......these blink alternating for a while and then the red lights on and blue shuts off. (No GPS connected). However, my mission planner does not detect any serial port. I tried changing USB ports and the computer too ....No luck!!. Also, Tried to connect to Arduino ....but no port was detected ....can you please guide me...... Is their any way to revive the board?

• Sometimes just restarting the PC does the trick ;)

• Or replacing the USB cable ;)

• My configuration:

Windows vista 32 bits, dell laptop computer, usb cable, arducopter 2.6 mega

1. I downloaded the latest version of the mission plannner ver:3.17 and installed it. Load the mission planner. I have com 5 detected by the MP.

2. Connect my apm 2.6 to my laptop. First a red and blue lights where blinking and afterwards the red light was blinking two blinking and start again.

3. I got a message from the operating system new usb was device was detected and after a while i got a message device will not work properly error 10.

4. I looked at the device manager and i saw:  

- under the usb devices list: unknown usb device

- And fddi converter device  with yellow rectangle that mean that the device is not working properly

5. I entered into the MP -> intial setup -> install firmware and try to load into my apm the firmware.

6. I chose my frame. The process start and then i got the following error:

Failed to download new firmware: System argumentException. The given port name does not start with com/COM or doesn't resolve to a valid serial port.

What can be the problem?

• CONFIRM:  

I HAD SAME PROBLEM,

PIXHAWK USB COM PORT FAILS IN DEVICE MANAGER WHEN CONNECTING & DOESNT SHOW.  

FOUND THIS POST http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixhawk-and-mavlink-problem 

I UNPLUGGED THE "UBLOX COMPASS ( SDA/SDL 3V3 ) CONNECTOR".

AND THE PIXHAWK COM PORT SHOWED UP!  

SUGGEST I HAD THIS DF13 UBLOX SDA/SDL WIRED INCORRECTLY.  

I WILL CONFIRM WIRING & POST RESULTS. 

• Hello Monroe,

I need exactly this chip: Part#: TS5A23157DGSR. As it is almost not possible to buy this chip in smal quantities here in Switzerland i ask you, if you could put one chip into an envelope and send it to me by airmail. How much would it cost? Easiest way for paying would be via paypal.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Hanspeter Hönger

• Mr King, are you still offering repair service?

• I think my APM 2.5 is bricked, but I'd like to know for sure.  When I give it power (USB or ESC), only the green LED comes on.  I've been reading about using a JTAG to talk to the processor - are there any basic instructions anywhere?  Or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

• Mr. King,

Are you still offering the service of autoMUX chip replacement? Mine has seemed to cook itself (even melted through the pink foam in the case!). This must have happened when I plugged up the USB while bein powered up with a LiPo through the 3DR Power Block. My FC will not talk to Mission PLanner and I am in DESPERATE need of repairs. Thanks! 

• I think I'm experiencing the same problems as described in the OP.

I have the RCtimer apm 2.5 and when I first got it i connected via USB to MP and loaded on the arduplane firmware.

However now the USB connection seems to not work properly. The computer will detect the board normally most of the time. And in some instances I can connect to MP to start the calibration. However, the board always disconnects from MP and will no longer reconnect and will show up as unknown device in device manager.

I've tried all the fixes listed except for reflashing.

Telemetry via the radios works perfectly but I need the USB connection to calibrate the board.

Is replacing the mux chip the solution?

Thanks.

This reply was deleted.

Activity