Developer

Arducopter 2.0.50

Arducopter 50 is our first fully Software in the Loop tested version. Special thanks to Tridge for developing the test suite!

Here is a quick video of the testing in action:

You can see the copter takes off, flies a simple square in manual and records the square with CH7 toggles at each corner. It then loiters and switches to AUTO to fly the recored WPs.

Once that's done it lands and loads a mission via mavlink. The mission is intended to test all commands including conditional commands and the jump command. The last two commands are RTL and land.

What else else is new:

More aggressive Alt hold control - You can now achieve rapid ascents & descents in alt hold. The throttle acts like a large dead zone with the upper and lower 20% being a proportional control. Adjusting the throttle resets the new target altitude.

Added the ability to log arbitrary data for better debugging.

Recording WP in normal flight with Channel 7. This is a great way to get WPs recorded in the field. Just toggle ch7 High for 1 sec and it will save the WP to memory building a WP list on the fly. Switching to AUTO mode will fly the WPs. Rebooting will allow you to start over on a new mission.

Added separate Acro PIs for people to tune Acro mode.

Z dampening - Alt hold now has an optional Z accelerometer dampening system. You need to compile it yourself to test. I'm eager to hear user's feedback on this so we can make it on by default. You can enable it in APM_Config.h by changing the '0' to a '1' like this "#define ACCEL_ALT_HOLD 1"

Y6 now has top and bottom missing ratio enabled. It's 1.0 for the top by default, but many users set it to 0.9.

Crosstrack correction is now enabled for WP navigation. Thanks to the SIL, we could test this properly. This makes the copter hold a very tight line to the next WP. The default gain is 4.0.

RTL now defaults to return at the current altitude.

Improved Circle mode performance.

Changed the Mission scripting execution order to be more intuitive. Conditional commands now execute after navigation commands are complete, not just loaded.

Various mission scripting bug fixes.

Removed some tests in the CLI for memory savings to fit the 1280.

Added precautionary safety preventing the user from entering flight modes that require GPS lock. If home has not been set you will get a stabilize mode instead of Loiter, or Auto, etc.

There were also many small bug fixes and code cleanups performed - too many to list.

If no one has any major issues, I'm going to call this the final stable release!

What's next in version 2.1 (target release early January):

- complete Mavlink 1.0 upgrade, ensure better Mission planner support.

- exploration of learning algorithms for auto-tuning.

- sensor/register level software simulation for testing more code.

- expanded test suite with more scripted scenarios

- secret cool stuff regarding the DCM

- ideas?

If you run into any issues, please post them to the issues list.

Jason

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

If you're testing newer versions downloaded via Arduino and the Log format has changed, You may be looking at the wrong data.

Michael has to update the XML file he uses to track the latest logging labels.

Jason

• 2.0.54 Test flights

I have tried all possible PI setting configuration.

but no success.

It seem that the sensors gone crazy, no rules

I have attached the log file.

2011-12-02 06-50 2.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692311286?profile=original
  • Flight test 2.0.54

cant hold ALTHOLD,  on the ground the Alt gauge goes +/-  50 feet up and down.

Its seem like a good reason why.

Where in the sensor code can I filter this offset?

• Flight test on 2.0.54

I´m been flight testing the last code, and I must say that ALL works fine. I´ve tested extensively the new AUTO with Ch7  WP´s reconding method (very convenient!) and now it works fine in all modes. The AUTO performs quite well, smooth and precise.

All other modes works better than ever. For me, this could be considered the first release, if others confim this.

(I have a custom quad, 650gr w/o bat; default PIDs)

Note. Still the problem on APM of not able to harware reseting.

• My logs are .54. I just is on the evening. It's smooth Stabilize Control . But , It have overshoot up and down when ( about 2 meters) I will change to ALT Hold (I used Sonar and shield cable). 

2554-12-01 06-24 1.log

2554-12-01 06-25 4.log

2554-12-01 06-25 5.log

• Updating to 2.0.54 (downloaded today from AC2 page)

Still same problem than in #52.

If, after uploading with arduino, we "reset APM H/W to defaults" in APM, it blocks.

I can install 2.0.54 but without doing a reset

Angel

• Developer

Here a video of the first test of my quadcopter (QRO) during a full autonomous flight in LOITER mode (GPS position Hold) at low alt with the firmware Arducopter v2.0.51. The altitude is locked by a barometric pressure only (without a sonar sensor and without an optical flow sensor).

Good work to Jason and to the DIY Drones team....

Regards, Jean-Louis

• Folks

This is a great open and constructive discussion and I have
    to reiterate my gratitude to Jason, Chris and team for the hard work and
    continuing to push this project forward. It is this open cordial, community
    discussion that builds loyality to this project, which is in stark contrast to
    the arrogant attitude adopted by the mikropoter developers that have turned
    many of us off their product even though I have to admit it is my rock solid
    quad. I just don't want to support them further.

I have to agree with some of the comments, that we need to
    have hardware that is capable of delivering the performance of the other
    products out there (MK, DJI etc). Yes it will cost us more initially. But look
    at the alternative. I bought a 1280 APM with compass and sonar, just before it
    was upgraded. Then bought two 2560 APMs for a quad and plane, the plane flew
    away and had to replace the APM (and the plane). So this is over a 1000$ in
    APMs, Now while I am happy to hear that there is a new ARM based hardware
    coming out, I am concerned that acceptable performance  will only be achieved with this newest
    hardware. further while the specs are not released, will the gyros and ACCs be
    of similar quality to MK and DJI? etc

My point is1000$ dollar DJI is looking financially attractive,
    and I hope that the new ARM based solution will have quality hardware so that
    the developers have the tools they need to allow us to have a stable workable
    solution that is usable even if in Q3 your next hardware comes out. 

Again please consider a stable no frills firmware branch that can provide stable basic performance.

Al

• Hi Jason,

After a couple of months of break, I decided to finish my V Octa.
    Tonight I went for a maiden, but had no luck.
    I have connected all according this

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Multi

Soldered those two pins to 10 and 11 according the scheme.
    Double checked motor rotation, and the test went wrong.
    Looks like Gyros work wrong only in roll axis.
    When I hold it in hand and start the motors, and when I start rolling left, instead of resisting, left motors reduce power, and right motors increase power flipping it in the air. Checked the ESC connections to APM OUT, and all are correct.
    Used last CODE and Planner.
    Have you ever had the same problem?

Kindest regards
    Eugen

• Jason did you see anything in my log that would help explain why I can't enter Loiter except when holding the quad or sitting on the ground.

What program can I use to analyze the log dumped from CLI? I know I can see the regular log with google earth but that I think doesn't help find the problem.

This reply was deleted.

Activity