Developer

ArduCopter 2.4 released

Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 2.4 flight test: LOITER

Yesterday I was flying 2.4 concetrated in LOITER and got very good results (with baseline code) after a lot of tunning (small 650g quad, APM1). In summary:

RATE-P has a MAJOR influence in loiter and it´s very critical. I´ve put it in Ch6 and there is a very narrow value zone where loiter is good:
                RATE-P = 0.09           bad, have local oscillations diverging
                RATE-P = 0.1             perfect LOITER
                RATE-P = 0.11          circles (small)
                RATE-P > 0.11          circles, increase the radius

LOITER_P aparently have no effect (or very small). I´ve used 1.5.
    NAV_P = 2, but I guess we can up a bit in compromise with RATE-P. Rest of pid´s are the defaults

Finally I´ve got a very good "compromised" tunning (see attached file)

Hope this help to tune-up others

Angel

2.4 Quad Small V1.param

• Just upgraded to 2.4 and wanted to set parameters for the gimbal. When trying to write CAM_R_G and CAM_P_G I get a "Set CAM_R_G Failed" / "Set CAM_P_G Failed" error, as if I wasn't connected. Other params work. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

BTW: What is CAM_R_DZ/CAM_P_DZ for?

• Hey guys,

Sorry to repeat the question again, but what's the final word on Loiter and Nav tuning in 2.4, do they still affect each other directly or can they now be tuned seperately?

• Developer

ArduCopter V2.4 - Full auto mission and Loiter test with my little X-Quad X525:

Hi all! Today I focused my tests on all automated systems, especially the "Auto" and "Loiter" with my little "lab rat", X-Quad 525.
    I found some anomalies which have already been reported and I hope will be corrected, including the critical parameters of the Loiter, unfortunately, still linked to other parameters, including "Nav" and "Stab" section.
    All this of course does not in any way compromise the stability of this release, good for me, but some things they want improved to make it "perfect".
    Here the video of the tests performed, waiting for your test.

Bests

Marco

Also trying to download my logs but am getting this below and it's taking a really LONG time...

Is this normal?

3690916094?profile=original

• Just had a test flight. Was ok but I find now that when travelling with a constant attitude (ie nose down to go forward) for any length of time the internal state get's a bit funky and loses its sense of what is level.

What happens is when I let go of my pitch stick it does not level, it overcorrect and pitches the other way beyond level. It corrects itself after some seconds (time to correct proportional to the size of the accumulated error) and becomes normally flyable again.

Now the problem I had today was that I was trying some aggressive flying in stabilise mode (full pitch and roll in various directions and high throttle) to see how the new code was and the errors accumulated were huge. So huge that the copter became totally unflyable and smashed into the ground as it was leaning so far over that I could not actually level it even with stick at full right roll.

The frame behaved admirably and I only wrote off the four props and few of the mounting legs/screws so that's fine.

This problem of accumulating errors in stabilise mode was present in 2.2 but to a much lesser degree and it wasnt in the previous versions at all (or at least a tiny amount) as far as I can tell.

Why is this happening and why has it got worse ? My quad is able to hover perfectly in low wind and the motors etc are all in good condition - I'm convinced this is a controller logic problem.

Just flown v2.4 on my ew APM2 which arrived this morning. Definately better than APM1, with APM1 I had to tune it quite a bit but with APM2 it flew very well on the default params (non standard frame - X525, motors - KDA20-22L, ESC - 2x25A TurnigySuperSimple, 2x25A Turnigy Hexfet.)

However I do have a case of the 'leans'. As the flight progresses the 'copter starts to lean one way needing nearly all the stick travel to keep it level, yawing seems to correct/affect it as the amount and direction of 'lean' changes with yaw.

Was there a cure found?

• hi guys, hay this might be a stupid question but how do u use the ch_6 tuning options, is there a guide in the manuel?

• I guess now a guide for tuning the PID loops is a must as most of the beginners like me are doing it by trial and error and the wiki is more like tips and not a guide... So i request Chris, his Dev Team, also all the masters and brave testers to lend us beginners a helping hand and teach us how to tune the loops in order to get most out of the ArduCopter.

• Quick report:

Been flying v2.4 on my quad (1.3kg, 750kv motors, 3DR frame, APM 2) in my backyard for a few flights, and all I can say is wow!  I haven't got it tuned perfectly yet, but it's by far the most stable and least drift I have had so far.  I am hoping to get more testing in of the different modes, etc, but it's been great so far

Great job dev and testing team!

This reply was deleted.

Activity