Developer

ArduCopter 2.4 released

Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We need DMP on AMP2 as soon as posible....

• Hello everyone,
    I tested 2.4.1 this afternoon with little wind, personal configurationX: weight 1542g, 600mm oc, 880kv motor, propeller 12x4.5
    Pid with normal
    Stable: good (setting a polish up!)
    Hold Atl: really bad (suremment setting a polish up!)
    Loiter: impresive! very stable with slight drift crosswind but the wind is in 1m2
    unfortunately I could not use because of problems APM1.42connections?? (working at home?)
    presence of a high voltage line is this the problem? in your opinion?
    good evening to all

• Tested 2.4 heavily today - everything looks good except for an occassional yaw - my guess is it's sensors glitching. I also have to let it sit for a while or it will start yawing randomly (read about this in here - known problem I guess).

Very stable, very happy.

BUT loiter is absolutely worthless - it does nothing for a while and then overshoots wildly, no matter how I tune it - I can only delay the madness but it will still ramp up at an insane rate and fly away...

Is it realistic to expect APMx to ever get to this level? Or is that just a pipe-dream?

THIS is what I was expecting from APM2 so understandably I've been a little disappointed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bFCQrz...

• I've only just noticed that the wiki's been updated with some more explanation of the tuning parameters, thanks Jason and Graham, just in case anyone else has missed it.

• I also don't get it that the 2.4 discussion wanders off into a 2.4.1 discussion or that we cant tell which is being discusses at times.

• Ive been away last two weeks but now just catching up. I see a lot of comments/problems with 2.4 for loiter and alt hold. I think I had just about got 2.3 setup right, so should I load 2.4 and be back to working out these issues again or just stick to 2.3 for the time being? Is 2.4 less of an issue than 2.3 was  as it is now?

• Today i tried to fly my standard quad in simple mode with fw 2.41 from Mission Planner 1.1.42.zip.

Behaviour for throttle in completly different to earlier firmware versions. For lift off, i need about 80% throttle. After the quad is in air, usually i reduce throttle a little bit. But with this firmware version the quad is nearly to drop down. In my opinion the throtttle is very sensitive. Do i have to adust/tune some parameters?

On another note my APM1 "leans" TOO, the 'sudden-death' lean!

HOWEVER, after it has done it around 5-8 times it does NOT do it again for the rest of the battery/flight, which can be fast and active or just hovering (5000mAh 3S batt). To reset the "lean", land for a few seconds and take off and it's gone. After a few seconds of hovering it suddenly returns but after doing the "land & takeoff" a few times it doesn't do it again!

If the quad sits for a few minutes (while we were chatting) then it will do it again a few times and thereafter fly perfectly for the rest of the flight.

Someone explain THAT to me...?

• Developer

Here a video of a test flight done yesterday with the v2.4.1 with the latest fix from Jason about the STAB_D limitation after my latest crash report. I have done more than 10 flights without any problem now...

Thanks to Jason for the patch...

Regards, Jean-Louis

This reply was deleted.

Activity