Developer

ArduCopter 2.4 released

Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• HI guys,

This morning (Scandinavian time) I downloaded the 2.4.1 from GIT and gave it a try on my quad (3DR stock, APM2).

I did not like it. Acting up in yaw, not as solid in stabilize, and a bit jerky in altitude hold.

I submit the log here, in case it might be of any interest.

I shall admit that I did not make any real effort to tweak parameters (I had a doubt it would help).

Now I revert to the 2.4.1 I pullet of git 28 feb. I cant say it is solid but for me it is at least better.

/ Tomas

Ps. baro sensor only, except last minutes. As you can see then, my sonar setup sucks.

2012-03-10 11-54 1_241_git10mar.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692370516?profile=original
  • Developer

I leave here the parameters of my little quad, in my opinion are a good starting point, especially for the sections STAB / RATE / LOITER, with default parameters have never been able to get a good loiter, but with these yes, my videos speak for themselves.

Marco

2.5.0_Quaddino.param

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692370075?profile=original
  • Developer

DCM fix available on the master repository:

We need your reports! What we want to avoid is to release a version that has problems.
    The latest code changes by Andrew Tridgell (epic job, thanks mate) are now available on the official "master branch" of ArduCopter GIT, is virtually the same version I used in my last video, is the same that you may download now by using the GIT.
    There are still a few things before making it official, but for me it's definitely usable and more secure than the current release available (imho), I have over 70 flights with this with no drift or dangerous situation.
    Are very welcome your test, especially for the "yaw dancer issue", we want to see if it comes in all configurations.
    Quaternion is very experimental, so avoid using it.
    The "Throttle Hold is dynamic", so do not worry if you see its value change in the planner, it is normal.
    Important for me: before takeoff put the "STAB_I" to "0", now the default is "0.1" and is wrong for the real concept of "PIDT1".
    If you decide to test it please, do it only if you have the opportunity to read the telemetry to the ground, and before you actually fly along up or hovering two feet off the ground and make sure the quad is responding correctly to your stick input, take a full flight at that altitude, moving quickly but keeping the quad at that height.
    If you have questions or need information please write here too, are all day at the airfield with the notebook.
    What is still missing:

- the routine that automates the "declination" parameter (by Adam)
    - the new autolanding (by Jean-Louis)
    - rtl with first the "safe altitude" and the "autoapproach" option
    - the yaw fix
    - better management of the dynamic throttle hold
    - the quaternion compass auto calibration, or manual calibration (better, imho)

I remind you that this version is not an official release, so use it at your own risk!
    Check the correct movements of the hud in the planner before takeoff...

Enjoy!

Marco -=- AC Dev Team

EDIT: attachment removed due need a lot of fix... (at the request of Randy)

• Hi,

my APM 2 has turned my xcopter unflyable.

It was perfect with APM 1.

It start to drift dto one side and never stops.

I can compensate with stick input.

I have exchanged propeller position to see if it leans on other direction but not.

I have exchanged for diferent propellers, still leans to the same side.

I have changed from X 2 to same effect.

Mounted APM on rubber band same effect.

If stays on the desk there is no drift.

If it would be vibration as mentioned on other post, any of the test above should have solved / change the effect but not.

Tested with 2.4.1 and JNL versions.

Any advice?

Pablo

APM2.jpg

• Developer

ArduCopter V2.5.0 Alpha - Yaw issue in a fast turn:

(Tridge "dcm-wip" branch, revision "74e16b81b771")

Hello everyone. Unfortunately the latest patch not yet solved the problems inherent the yaw, in my daily video i show that the error is at times quite "dangerous" for pilot with poor experience of flight.
    Unfortunately it's not my hardware problem, because with an older version of AC (like 2.3) the yaw is not affected by this issue.
    The
    problem comes when you fly fast enough, then for lovers of automation is virtually absent, even if it worsens the quality of loiter in windy conditions.

I
    explain with my daily video, with timecode reference:

0:16<->0:44 - I run the fastest paths straight without touching the yaw, which is facing the bottom of the track, you can see how often changes its state to some degrees, both right and left

0:44 - the yaw bounces after a small drop, and this is unfortunately very often, yaw dancer

1:47 - after a quick right turn are forced to slow down to recover the yaw drift before continuing with the turn

2:00<->2:05 - I do a quick turn to the left and at the end the quad will not turn, tends to keep the yaw frontally

04:00<->4:05 - very fast tack, same problem

04:37 - the quad moves excessively in loiter, over 20 meters of radius (but today there's biggest solar flare)

Unfortunately, these inaccuracies occur often on one side only, because our quads have always tended to side with a rotating worse than another.
    I hope that we can implement a better command queue before releasing the upcoming 2.5.0.

Apart from the
    problem with yaw the dcm is perfect for me now, rock solid and stable!

Bests, Marco

• hey jason, i've got exactly the same problem with my hexa, can't get a stable hover, dropping or rising all the time. I was wondering if you'd found a solution.

• Adam, I got a little frustrated and had to step away from it for a bit.  This morning I had my moment of clarity and realized that I was still using the old IDE (Derrrrr!).  Logged on this morning and sure enough, you had posted that it compiled fine with the relax patch. Anyway, I tested it several times this morning and it was only off by -.44.  Close to what the dev team was getting, but out of the three goes -.44 was the greatest deviation from what it should be.  Left image is Auto-Declination, right image is actual declination. This is very promising non-the-less.  

3692369935?profile=original3692370006?profile=original 

• Where can I find a good instruction for setting  up 2D camera stabilization for APM 1/ The wiki only shows pitch and not roll. Also how to trigger the camera using APM?

• Field Flight Manual For Beginners

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/feild-flight-manual-for-beginers

• Fantastic video Marco ...when you can try the new version of firmware?

ciao Umberto

This reply was deleted.

Activity