Developer

ArduCopter 2.5 released!

Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Enhancements:

1. The first ArduCopter code release optimized for the APM 2.  Leans and drift should be much reduced or even eliminated for most users.  This was accomplished through a number of core improvements to the DCM implementation by Tridge like this one and this one.
  2. Loiter and waypoint following should be improved due to a D term bug fix, some tuning and the improved DCM performance mentioned above.
  3. On start-up, the yaw heading is updated with first successful mag read (so you should no longer see the slow rotation from north to your actual heading).
  4. Increased output rate to ESCs to 490hz.  This update rate is also user selectable using the new RC_SPEED parameter.
  5. hexa copter stability patch bug fix (should resolve slight flattening when pitching forward and accelerating very rapidly).
  6. improved baro filtering
  7. fix to dataflash logging of Mag heading
  8. addition of H1 swash plate type and bug fix for proactive yaw compensation for collective pitch changes for TradHelis.

Tuning:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:

reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)

reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)

increase rate D from 0 to 0.001

Tuning loiter can be tricky.  Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

Please post your feedback in this discussion.  For enhancement requests  and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).

Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is it only me...?

While most of you guys here seems slightly euphoric about the new release, I seem to have issues with it. At this time I address mainly yaw and attitude control, but I have doubts about loiter and auto as well (sorry to sound negative).

3DR stock quad, APM2 (soft suspension), code git_2.5.1_ed52caa6bc0a, 3SLiPo4500mAh

First one can always start blaming the parameters for any anomalies showing up. But after having played with for some flights I would say there is something else going on. AHRS stuff spooking with me...

Specifically

Yaw: Steep attitudes like 20-30 degrees makes yaw drift several degrees, feels like 10 deg or more. Flying back and forth at aggressive attitude provokes this, every time. Yes, I could make a video, I did not, please believe me anyway. There is no doubt. Yaw rate and stab PIDs seems to do their job otherwise, but I think the reference data (from DCM) is the crook here.

Attitude: Having been observing my quad very thoroughly I am convinced that DCM acts up here too. Often, after returning to level after some attitude, it does not really return to level. There is an artifact making it show some degrees nose up when it is actually nose down (simultaneously observing quad and the artificial horizon). Then soon it returns to true level, airframe and attitude indicator.  This seems very much like the artifact that has been there in many previous code versions.

Alt hold works fine, like before.

Loiter, hm. Tried Marcos setup. Could work fine in weak stable wind, but from that, still in loiter mode, climbing to 40 meters and coming up above tree tops, wind increasing, it started circling / oscillating really bad, violently. Tried auto yesterday and it accelerated towards the first waypoint an then it was all over the place, I had to abort the mission.

I have logs, but I the source of error is the DCM then I doubt that logs would provide anything of interest(?)

To wrap it up. I had much better flying with previous 2.2-2.4 versions and there are weird things going on with yaw and attitude, DCM is a suspect. It is not difficult to fly it, but it does not behaving exactly as it should.

I would be VERY interested if any more of you guys observed something like this??

Finally, to cheer you up after my complaints, a fresh pic showing the result of too little focus on the job while tuning and hand testing. It´s on me ;-)

3692378902?profile=original

Yes - it hurt. Carbon reinforced props.

• FYI folks, hitting up the Y6, Hexa and 3DR Hexa today with APM1.x and 2.5--will report back on progress.

• This was an amazing reply, thank you so much.

I'll try shortly and report back!

• Thank You for this great Work :)

I got my APM 2.0 Today, i hope i can fly soon :)

• T3

Developers 

Altitude hold is now working for me.  I set TRIM_THROTTLE to 410 now when I change to altitude hold while I'm hovering my quad just settles down a little and the sonar kicks in to hold the altitude.

The question I have is if the you use the, 15 second right yaw while arming, to get a AUTO TRIMMING of a copter, will this also adjust the TRIM_THROTTLE setting??

I'll try it today and see if that works.

Larry 

• Hi Folks, new to the forum and ArduCopters (since December this year) and been having heaps of fun and crashes LOL. I like this release, however have come across a strange issue, which may be a bug.

If I go to terminal mode and run setup and then motors, I expect the motors to spin briefly in a clockwise direction from motor 1 in turn, however I get something different.

This is the sequence I get

M1 spins ok, stops

M2 spins, then slows slightly

M3 spins, then stops (M2 still spinning)

M4 does not spin at all, and then M2 stops.

Sequence repeats

This worked fine under 2.4.1, and I rolled back to 2.3 last night, and the motors test worked ok (if you recal you need the remote to spin up pais of motors).

My setup is the 3DR frame, APM1, 850Kv motors.

Thanks

Tony

• Im having similar issues to others with my hexa, my yaw is surging while attempting to hover

• So.....

How much fun can you have with an arducopter?

Well here’s a start :D

Oh and it’s a lot better to watch in 720p, and turn it up loud!

As always, I will buy a better camera soon ;)

Arductoper 2.5. Rocking. from Kamakaze UK on Vimeo.

APM1, 3DR Frame, Standard Jdrones 850KV kit. 10*4.5 cheap plastic props. NO vibration mounting whatsoever, AMP just foam tape glued to frame, this is significant ;)

There is, of course, an ‘out-takes’ video ;)

• Hi Folks,

just came in ,did some test flights.Stabilize works great,rock

solid.But i can´t get atthold working,just drops down with low rev motors.Put atthold P on 0,800,makes no difference

Using Marco´s params except atthold as mentioned.Sonar is working properly.

I´m clueless.

Octo X

APM 1 2960

• I just fly my quadrocopter with the amazing firmware 2.5 and I am very happy, Stabl Mode, Alt-hold, and Loiter work fine for me, i will test RTL and Auto soon :) :) 

Here is my setup:

Gaui 500x, 900Kv, 10x4.5, esc hobbyking blue serie 30A

APM 1 (1280), 

ACM 2.5

compass,

sonar,

Marco PIDs. :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity