Developer

ArduCopter 2.5 released!

Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Enhancements:

1. The first ArduCopter code release optimized for the APM 2.  Leans and drift should be much reduced or even eliminated for most users.  This was accomplished through a number of core improvements to the DCM implementation by Tridge like this one and this one.
  2. Loiter and waypoint following should be improved due to a D term bug fix, some tuning and the improved DCM performance mentioned above.
  3. On start-up, the yaw heading is updated with first successful mag read (so you should no longer see the slow rotation from north to your actual heading).
  4. Increased output rate to ESCs to 490hz.  This update rate is also user selectable using the new RC_SPEED parameter.
  5. hexa copter stability patch bug fix (should resolve slight flattening when pitching forward and accelerating very rapidly).
  6. improved baro filtering
  7. fix to dataflash logging of Mag heading
  8. addition of H1 swash plate type and bug fix for proactive yaw compensation for collective pitch changes for TradHelis.

Tuning:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:

reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)

reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)

increase rate D from 0 to 0.001

Tuning loiter can be tricky.  Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

Please post your feedback in this discussion.  For enhancement requests  and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).

Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Today I have also testet this version:

http://vimeo.com/39722976

The whole video is in Loiter

2012-04-03 19-51 5.log

• Did some new tests today with version 2.5.3.

Loiter went very well and stayed within a 2m radius. Even pulled a leg for a couple of meters and it went to its previous position without any problems.

RTL works also fine but when landed it flipped over. I prefer that it comes home, loiters and then swith to stab and land it yourself.

This evening I went out for another couple of flight and this is the result. Second half is a little bit blurry because its was getting dark. Without the yaw problem it flies quit good. There was no wind. Will try the same when there is a breeze.

Also an odd thing was between flight when I changed a battery it flipped completly during take off resulting in a broken prop. Put on new prop and reconnected batt and took off again without problem.

• hi

does any one have a Y6 param for a apm1 2560 as ive tried so many different settings and just cannot get a good loiter

many thanks stuart

• I am new to DIY drone and need some advise.

Thanks to all dev , I have been able to fly stab mode with this version 2.5.3.

My config is a quad :

Frame :Black crow (Epoxy 46cm motor to motor)

Motors:Dualsky 2826CA-18 980 rpm/V

Props:10x4.5

APM2

Spectrum DX8 & AR6210

I am having the following problems

In stab mode the copter will shift always on theright side even after multiple calibation in MP or field éàsec Yaw left ( I can correct this triming on the reverse side then  field calibration) power off /on with trim to zero) which is almost ok in stab mode but when switching to Alt hold or loiter the copter goes badly on the left side.

Here log & parameters

Thanks for any good suggestion

John

2012-04-03 10-10-58.tlog

Last1.param

•  I just wanted to ask to make sure about the esc/motor droping out prob that was supposed to be gone. went flying yesterday with 2.5.3 installed. things are much better but im still having problems with motors stoping and my quad falls out of the sky. ive done the individual esc cal many times and every time they all do like there supposed to. then i go to fly and sometimes i get a esc restarting just like when you first plug in or a motor just stops. throttle down and back up and back to flying until the next time. seems to happen quite frequent like every 30-45 seconds. everything is soldered, no plugs on motors or esc's.

apm1 2560 850kv 20amp esc gps mag no sonar yet. everything is diydrones stuff.any ideas. ill try to get logs in the next day or 2. hope ive given enough info.

thanks.

Mike

• Compass magnetic field interferences

For those having this problems, I ´ve solved them in my custom setup by hardware. See this topic that I´ve opened to record experiences.

Angel

• This is a photo of my setup and parameters.  The entire frame is my own design. Molded and machined components.  Body looks even cooler, update that later;) APM1/2560, 650kV motors, APC 12X3.7SF props, 4 cell 2650-5000mah packs,  and modular ESC stack. 3692385003?profile=original3692385028?profile=original 

Q4_2.5.3_Param_Best.param

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692385053?profile=original
  • Developer

An evocative image of my little xquad that I use for testing, during a loiter passed an airliner, and there was also the Moon... :-)
    It's a frame taken from one of my fullhd videos, excellent as wallpaper for your desktop!

3692385059?profile=original

• excellent position hold in light breeze!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqGamp0gKy4

• I finally loaded 2.5.3 onto my 8X Quad after doing full CI erase and reset and recalibrate everything .  On some checking the sonar is not working and even if I hold it up to 2 meters it never reads more than 32cm. Any ideas why?

Also where can I find instructions how to use the compass declination calibration that's now new on MP? For now I just added my usual declination. Is this ok?

I have adjusted just the few of my PIDs to the setting I normally use.

STAB P/R 3.800  I 0.050 IMAX 40.

Any other stetting I should tweak and issues I need to be aware of?

My X8 Quad specs

Board: AMP1

GCS: MP 1.1.59

Copter Firmware: 2.5.3

Quad X8 (coaxial 2 motors/ESC per arm sharing one APM signal)

5000mAh3S 35-70C

Droidworx ADR Quad Standard, (72cmx72cm across)

Flight weight 2.4kgs

Motors 880kv Jdrones

8 Props 12x4.5

ESC 30A Jdrones

APM power supply. 5V, 3amp switching regulator (SVR3 Tahmazo)

Sonar XL-EZ0 (MB1200)

Declination:  -0.5899

This reply was deleted.

Activity