Developer

ArduCopter 2.7.2/2.7.3 released

Arducopter 2.7.2 is now in the mission planner and in the downloads area Some positive reports on testing can be found in this discusssion by John Hanson.

Note: just as the release was going out an issue was found re support for the all Camera Gimbals on the APM1s (it doesn't work) and with 3 axis gimbals on the APM2 (2-axis works ok but not 3).  If you're one of these people, please wait for 2.7.3 which will be out shortly. 

UPDATE: 2.7.3 is now in the Mission Planner

Functional Improvements over 2.7.1:

• Fast waypoints (Jason) - if the turn angle between two waypoint the copter is less than 60 degrees it does not slow down
  • Navigation improvements and logging including switching to filtered location for distance calculations (jason)
  • Flip improvements - more aggressive and flexible flip code based on attitude instead of timing (Jason)
  • Improved camera control - you can now control any axis (roll, tilt, pan) with any rc channel.  it probably makes most sense that you will use 6 but others are possible too.  Unfortunately these changes required we change the set-up procedure so the mission planner gimbal set-up screen needs to be modified again.  Please refer to the AC_Camera wiki page for how to manually set-up the gimbal (Amilcar)
  • Flybar acro mode for TradHeli (Robert)
  • "Fast gains" - allows strong correction of attitude using accelerometers while the quad is stationary on the ground but relies more on gyros while flying (Tridge, Jason)
  • Baro filtering improvements (Tridge)

Bug Fixes:

• DMP timing fix (Randy) - the MPU6000's dmp unit was inadvertantly turned on and caused timing delays in the main loop- xbee bricking issue (Craig / Tridge)
  • Dataflash fixes (Jason)
  • Engine ticking - was a combination of roll/pitch rate D term being too high and the dmp timing fix above (Randy, Emile)
  • Faster heading correction on start-up - resolves issue with simple mode getting incorrect heading if you took off very soon after start-up (Tridge)

Code Cleanup:

• Increased maximum number parameters (Tridge)
  • Formatting changes to code (Pat)
  • Replaced "int" with "int16_t" everywhere (Randy)

As per usual PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

There is still some question on whether the default Roll/Pitch Rate P (0.175) is high enough (it was 0.185 in 2.7.1) and also some people feel the Throttle Rate should be higher (currently 0.300 but some say 0.330 or even much higher would be better).

Please feel free to report issues you find in the discussion below and/or add them to the issues list.

Thanks and enjoy!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ArduCopter-2.7.4-Beta.zip

Beta release for testers only! Improvements (over 2.7.3): - bug fix to resolve last waypoint being skipped. - bug fix to resolve loss of altitude if alt hold is engaged before first GPS lock. - thrust curve added to linearize pwm->thrust. Removes deadzone found above 90% throttle in most ESC/motors. - low end throttle stability patch added for quad, hexa, octa - Optical flow sensor enabled for APM2.5. Now automatically detects which SPI bus the sensor is on. - more timing improvements (main loop is now tied to MPU6000s interrupt). - expected GPS lag reduced from 1sec to 0.5sec for UBLOX. - increased default Loiter Rate P to 5 (was 2.4), reduced Loiter Rate I to 0.04 (was 0.08). - logging improvements (log I terms, dump all settings at head of dataflash log) - GPS NMEA bug fix from Alexey Kozin - code cleanup - removed INSTANT_PWM
  • Randy,

Has anyone addressed the UART 2/3 telemetry confusion on the APM2 yet? There was a thread going on that issue started by TJ some months ago and It looked as though Andreas might pick that up, but he's since kind of dropped out of the picture.

• Hello,

I got my AMP 2.5 last week with the UBlox Lea - 6 GPS and 4 brand new ESC's and motors from 3DR with MB1260 sonar.

In stablize mode without simple mode it is all 100% flying like a champ it is perfectly stable but when I enable simple mode the orientation goes all wrong my forward becomes backward and my left becomes right. I have the APM 2.0 and this does not happen on it (but its old firmware).

On the APM 2  the manetic inclination is -17.49 and that is what I have put into the APM 2.5 with the latest firmware. I even did the magno meter calibration dance and the APM 2.5 detects 12, and when I set it to altitude hold it works for a few minutes and then the quad loses altitude very fast.

Has anyone got the same issues or can this be a hardware fault?

Regards

Christiaan

• I am having an issue. I have 4 point flight plan and everything goes great up till the 3 way point and it decided to say its going to way point 65XX. I believe that someone had the same issue and i was unable to locate the fix on this. I would like to get this thing to fly a full mission.

Thanks here is a video and I have also posted the Log.

2012-09-23 12-03-22.tlog

• I'm having problems connecting to APM2 with USB.

MP gets stuck and says there is a problem with mavlink.

Wireless with xbee, it connects with no problem.

When I disconnect Xbee on the APM, I can connect with USB but nothing shows in the MP.HUD doesn't move, etc.

When I first got the APM2 and wanted to connect the XBEE through the UART connector as discribed in the wiki but it didn't work. Then after some searching I found the solution by connecting the xbee on the UART0 port on the side of the APM. XBee worked fine.

Both xbee and usb were at 115200.

Meanwhile I switched xbee to 57600 and left the usb connection at 115200.

Could this be the problem??

• Hi. 

When I try to build ArduCopter code using Arduino gui, it builds fine.

However, when I try to build it using cmake, I get the following error:

...../ArduCopter.cpp:8626:0: error: unterminated #if

All the other libraries seem to be building fine. 

• Can anyone tell me if there's a Mediatek 3329 firmware more recent than 1.6 ?

• Hello all, 

I had some issues with 2.7.3 in auto when switching to stabilize and back to auto again. Ive put it here http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/learning-how-to-analyse-logs  any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alex

• What should the LAND flight mode do? Should it just descend and land wherever the Quad is? Is it at all tied to GPS?

• Distributor

Guys need help over here: http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/apm-2-5-level-gets-corrupted-logs...

looks like a bug or defect on APM 2.5 on the auto trim. please read and check the logs.

Need to know if this needs to be RMA or just waiting for code fix.

This reply was deleted.

Activity