Developer

ArduCopter 2.8 / 2.8.1 released

Arducopter 2.8.1 is now in the mission planner and in the downloads area! Remember to do your MP configuration again after loading this code, since it erases your EEPROM and sets it to the new defaults. 

Note: Issues with APM1 user's level feature not working are now resolved.  If you installed 2.8 we highly recommend you upgrade to 2.8.1 as 430 extra bytes of RAM have been freed up which reduces the chance of memory corruption (although we haven't seen any cases of this on the APM2 at least) .

Note #2: this release has not gone out for Traditional Helicopters until they can be tested fully.  Flip and Toy mode have also not been fully tested.

Improvements over 2.7.3:

• Improved ACRO mode (Leonard Hall)
  • Improved stability patch to reduce "climb-on-yaw" problem (Leonard, Rob Lefebvre, Randy)
  • Rate controller targets moved to body frames (yaw control now works properly when copter is inverted) (Leonard/Randy)
  • Less bouncy Stabilize yaw control (Leonard)
  • OpticalFlow sensor support for APM2.5 (Randy)
  • DMP works again by adding "#define DMP_ENABLED ENABLED" to APM_Config.h You can also log DMP vs DCM to the dataflash by adding "#define SECONDARY_DMP_ENABLED ENABLED" (Randy)
  • Watch dog added to shutdown motors if main loop feezes for 2 seconds (Randy)
  • Thrust curve added to linearize pwm->thrust. Removes deadzone found above 90% throttle in most ESC/motors (Randy)
  • More timing improvements (main loop is now tied to MPU6000s interrupt) (Randy)
  • GPS NMEA bug fix (Alexey Kozin)
  • Logging improvements (log I terms, dump all settings at head of dataflash log) (Jason)

Bug Fixes / Parameter changes:

• fixed skipping of last waypoint (Jason)
  • resolved twitching when no GPS attached (Tridge)
  • fixed loss of altitude if alt hold is engaged before first GPS lock (Randy/Jason)
  • moved Roll-Pitch I terms from Stabilize controllers to Rate controllers
  • TILT_COMPENSATION param tuned for TradHeli (Rob)

Code Cleanup:

• HAL changes for platform portability (Pat Hickey)
  • Removed INSTANT_PWM (Randy)

As per usual PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/jDrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Please note that on this release we've moved the Roll and Pitch I terms from the Stabilize controller to the Rate controller. There's some evidence that says this can lead to flips on take-off if you move the roll or pitch sticks around as you take-off so we recommend you leave these sticks in the middle until you're in the air.

Please feel free to report issues you find in the discussion below and/or add them to the issues list.

Thanks and enjoy!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi

I have a funny issue with mission planner; setting waypoints by clicking on the map is VERY unreliable; most of the time it just plain doesn't work. I can set 1-2 waypoints, and after that, waypoint-adding is mostly ignored. Other dialogue widgets work ok, (sometimes I need to repeat them, get them to "take"). Anyone else seeing this?

The rest looks pretty good; thanks for the hard work guys!

M

• I had this same issue, the throttle wooed kind of pulsate and grow on its own. but I went back through and did a  Manual ESC calibrate, with special effort given to doing the throttle movements Exactly the same. Then I took a my programming card and made sure every esc was exactly the same, and that did the trick.

IF a else fails, try erasing your APM and starting again with a clean sate.

Having a programing card only costs you a few bucks, but it makes it soooo easy to make sure everything is in sync.

• I followed Dave's tuning method and got to the below settings.  However the motors still spike up and down when I move the throttle stick up 1 click above full off.  It seems to go away when I move towards half throttle, but if I do this on the ground without holding on to it it will try to flip.  I've attached a short video of it...

3692540472?profile=original

20121105205059.wmv

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692540412?profile=original
  • If I am not happy with a firmware update, how do I find the .hex file to restore the prior version?

• Had a faultless auto flight today, after i worked out that my crappy new wingcam was killing my GPS fix. So sorry no on-board footage, but the camera phone tells a happy story :) - you'll need to watch this in HD as there is no zoom on the phone!

Had a near disaster today with an attempted fly-away with my APM2 Quad, still trying to figure out WHY!
    http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/my-apm2-quad-attempts-fly-awa...
    @Steven, a single motor beep/twitch can't be sorted out with PID's. If you enable 'motors' in the logs (see the wiki) you might be able to see a twitch in the output to a motor but if it's something like wiring, connection or a faulty ESC then it won't show up in the 'motors' part of the log. The twitch though should show up in if 'raw' is enabled in the logs as a spike in the gyro or accellerometer logs.
  • Is anyone able to assist with a thread I commented on 2 weeks ago, I think it's been lost in the thread.

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-2-8-released?xg_so...

Every now and then the aircraft twitches and you hear a slight beep form one of the motor as it does so. It's a HexaCopter.

I'm hoping it'll just be a PID adjustment that someone can suggest or if there is something obvious in the logs if the twitch can be seen.

Any help would be appriciated as it does concern me a little when flying as this behaviour doesn't seem right.

Many thanks,

Steve
  • HI!

I have two questions:

1. How can i change throttle gains? When i arm my 3DR Hexa (APM 2.5 with 880kv motors and arducopter 2.8.1) and move throttle stick to minimum it starts and speed is increasing by itseft to infinity. It will lift until i move throttle to minimum again. When i move it down motors just stop. No matter where my stick was at the moment.

2. My Hexa is prety horizontal stable in air, but it is rotating clockwise in about 1 turn per second. Which parameter is responsible to this? I'm trying to stop rotation with stick, but no luck. Trims are also not affecting rotation.

I fly only with Stabilize now.

Alex.

• ArduCopter ver 2.81 Automission record

http://youtu.be/1RiHGnQbE30
    HexCopter with  APM1.4 2560 + ublox GPS

All pids are default except for

RATE_D,0.004
    RATE_I,0.1
    RATE_IMAX,300
    RATE_P,0.13
    Remark:The default Nav p 2.4 seems not enough for wind stronger than 6m/s

This reply was deleted.