Developer

ArduCopter 2.9 / 2.9.1 released

ACRO bug (fixed in 2.9.1b): while doing flips in ACRO mode, if you switch to Stabilize while inverted your throttle will go to minimum.  To regain throttle control you need to switch back to ACRO then back to Stabilize again (i.e. switch to stabilize twice).  You never lose control of roll/pitch/yaw.

Loiter/AltHold/Auto/RTL bug: if you switch into these modes with throttle at zero motors will go to minimum until you raise the throttle.

Auto mode altitude bug (fixed in 2.9.1b): setting a waypoint altitude greater than 320m over home altitude may wrap around and instead be interpreted as a low altitude.

ArduCopter 2.9 is now in the mission planner and the downloads area!

The major improvement is we use inertial navigation to improve altitude hold.  This increased reliance on the accelerometers means you must do some additional set-up before flying:

1. Perform the new accelerometer calibration in the mission planner (video).  The auto-trim metho has also changed (video).

3690987999?profile=original

2. Add vibration dampening foam between your frame and the APM.  Some suggested materials: DuBrogelhk foam.

3690988058?profile=original

3. If upgrading from 2.8.1, modify the throttle and altitude PID values:

• Increase your Throttle Rate P, reduce I to zero, increase D
  • Increase Altitude Hold P, reduce I to zero
  • Tune Throttle Accel P and I terms but try to keep P about 1/2 the size of I

3690988113?profile=original

Here is the list of major changes (a more detailed list can be found in the release notes):  

• Alt hold using inertial navigation (Leonard, Randy, Jonathan)
    • AUTO_VELZ_MIN, AUTO_VELZ_MAX parameters control the max climb/descent rate for the autopilot (cm/s)
    • PILOT_VELZ_MAX controls max climb/descent rate for the pilot (in cm/s)
  • Landing improvements (Leonard/Randy).  Copter will descend to 10m or until an object is sensed with the sonar.  Then slows to 50cm/s descent (speed can be adjusted with LAND_SPEED parameter). (video).
  • Surface tracking with sonar (Randy/Leonard).  Copter will attempt to maintain current distance from objects in front of sonar regardless of altitude.  Only used in alt-hold and loiter, not used for missions.  Sonar can be enabled/disabled with CH7 switch. (video)
  • Failsafe improvements (Randy/Craig/John Arne Birkeland) including bug fixes, additional check for PPM encoder failure and implementation of battery failsafe.  Set-up instructions are here.
  • Mediatek gps driver accuracy improvements and use of SBAS [Craig].  Instructions on upgrading your mediatek to firmware 1.9 are here.
  • Traditional Heli improvements (Rob) including (a) bringing heli code back into the fold, (b) enabled rate controller (previously only used angle controllers). (c) fix to rotor speed controllers - now operates by switching off channel 8.  (d) allow wider collective pitch range in acro and alt hold modes vs stabilize mode  (e) bug fix to allow collective pitch to use the entire range of servos
  • Acro trainer (Leonard). Copter will return to be generally upright if you release the sticks in acro mode.
    • ACRO_TRAINER : set to 1 to enable the auto-bring-upright feature
    • ACRO_BAL_ROLL, ACRO_BAL_PITCH : controls rate at which roll returns to level
  • Camera control improvements (Randy/Sandro Benigno):  (a) AP_Relay enabled for APM2  (b) Trigger camera with CH7 or DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL command  (c) Allow pilot override of yaw during missions and fixed CONDITIONAL_YAW command.
  • PPM sum support for transmitters with as few as 5 channels (Randy/Tridge/John Arne Birkeland).
  • Performance and memory useage improvements (Tridge).

As per usual PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/jDrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Special thanks to our testing team lead Marco and the dedicated bunch on the 2.8.1 release thread who put their copters at risk while testing the pre-release version.  Some of their videos are here: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Please feel free to report issues you find in the discussion below and/or add them to the issues list.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Leonard,

I  was thinking about this throttle glitch while I was laying in bed last night.  I don't see how it can be a glitch as this has shown up as a un-commanded throttle cut every time. A glitch would randomly hit different channels or effect more than one channel.  Because this TX was setting idle for a long time (5+ years), I am going to break out the ohm meter and make sure the throttle channel pot in the transmitter doesn't have a bad spot....ie dirty or something.   At the 11 min mark the battery has dropped and I am at a different spot on the TX potentiometer for the throttle channel, and that could explain why it seems to happen at 10+minutes into the flight.

I also have some new old receivers that I can put on the bird.  Short of these efforts I don't see what else could be the problem.

It seems like there is yourself and Randy that support 95% of the responses here.  I am sure if it were not for you two folks hard work dealing with user problems and working on the code this program/code would not be where it is today!

Great Job Guys and I am sure everyone really appreciates your hard work!

Warm Regards,

Steve Haynes

w4arf

• I have been trying out various flight modes on my 3DR Hexa, 880kv motors, 3S battery, APM 2.5 w2.9.1 firmware and more or less default tuning. It flies very well in Stabilize and Alt-Hold is rock steady with very little climb or descent while hovering. I have tried Land mode a few times, but since 2.9.1 ithas been behaving strangely. The hexa will start to lan but after a couple of seconds it 'lurches' backwards, tries to correct itself and repeats, getting worse until I have to switch back to Stablize to recover. I am pretty sure Land worked great in 2.9 or that could have been 2.9 rc X.

I have been lurking a bit on here occasionally but there is a huge amount of information scattered across a couple of hundred pages so  might have missed quite a bit of it. I have uploaded the last flight where I tried out Land a few times. The log is long, but the last time I tried it was at around line 56433 and quite soon afterwards switched back to Stabilize. The mode does briefly switch to RTL, but that's just because my mode switch passes through RTL on the way from Land back to Stabilize. I have graphed a few values but don't see anything wrong, although the copter was very badly behaved in Land mode. Could someone with a bit more experience at looking at the logs see if there is anything obvious I have missed?

Note that I have not done anything special to get rid of vibration other than balance the props with some selotape. So this might be a vibration issue although Land has worked in the past very well (pre 2.9.1 - although could be just coincidence).

2013-02-23 09-56 1.log

• Hello all,

Today i have the chan7 and set it to RTH. When i switch the chan7 , RTH work and when the quad was at home i switch off the chan7 and normaly it goes to stabilize, but after that the quad Flip and crash :(. I would like to undenstand what's happened.

Thank you for your time.

Regards.

Pascal.

2013-02-23 08-53 12.zip

• Hi Leonard,
    I have rebuilt my quad using a borrowed APM 2.0 from my friend until the other unit arrives.
    Using Scorpion 2215  1070 kv  and Plush 25 amp ESC.  A new isolation neoprene foam motor holds the APM,
    Test flights have been very encouraging with no problems encountered.
    I have attached  a log with RAW  for your opinion on the Z Accel damping results.

Regards David

2013-02-22 19-36 16.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692630607?profile=original
  • Problem with flashing APM2.5 from 3DR, works fine with Arduflyer from RCtimer.

Because of PPM issue with my Futaba T8J I want to upgrade Atmel even though I have not experienced any problems with spikes etc. Just to be sure.

When shorting the GND and RST after shorten jumper 2 it seems not to go to DFU mode.

In my devicemanager my Arduino dedicated com port is going away while GND and RST is shorted (for a second) but is showing up again when i finish shortening. This does not happend with the Arduflyer board (I have two and works on both).

So I'm not able to connect USB with FLIP.

• Personal milestone for me.

* I didn't crash

* everything worked (mostly)

* My love/hate relationship with this asymmetrical is approaching love again.  I finally have this damn quadcopter approaching a sane tune, with some help from Leonard.  

* Gabor posted a new firmware for MinimOSD-extra - so I grabbed all my FPV gear and shot up for a quick flight.  While I was doing that - I also tested out Alt Hold and Loiter.  I plugged in a few sensible parameters and came very close to a good tune on my first try.  I have to ease THR MID but other than - I like what I see - especially Loiter.

* I was too chicken to try RTL, but what I did do as a precaution was set WP SPEED to 100 - I didn't want this taking off.  I flipped my channel 7 switch but it didn't work (configuration problem) but I was ok with that - I'll try again later.

Attaching my tlog from this flight - I'm still learning how to analyze these...these aren't the raw logs - I can only do basic telem.

And as always - big thank you to the devs for all your hard work!

2013-02-22 16-45-47.tlog

• Hello all, but specifically the developers!

Maybe you could have a look at attached log files. In response to my earlier post, I did a short flight with INAV, MOTORS and RAW enabled. My Accel-Z seems to be OK (see below). What I experienced is:

- twitching of the motors after arming.

- on the first take-off (and ONLY the first take-off) a very agressive, but very short burst of the motors

- bouncing on LAND. Not a gentle landing. 

- Please note that at times I was keeping the Octo from racing to the ceilling by pushing it down (no worries: motor cycle gloves and a thick sweather helps!). 

- On the ground sonar gives good values, but it appears it may not in flight. Is that correct?

3692629838?profile=original

Best regards,

Alexander

2013-02-22 16-39-53.tlog

2013-02-22 16-47 4.log

2013-02-22 16-47 4.kmz

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692629851?profile=original
  • Hello all,

I've just uploaded 2.9.1. in to my overpowered Octo. It was the first time flying after the upgrade from APM 1 to APM 2.5. After adjusting THR_MID to 300, she hovers nicely in Alt-hold.

However, I noticed that as soon as the Octo is armed, the motors 'twitch' on occasion. Additionally, I have seen a very aggressive twitch during the first 2 flights in hover. Fortunately I had my hand above the center to prevent it from hitting the ceiling.Since it was the first two flights, I did not have 'RAW' enabled. If desired, I can probably retrieve the logs, but they will only contain the default data.

What could cause this twitching on arming? It disappears as soon as the Octo disarms itself. I know this issue has been addressed before, but I cannot find it. Is there an easy way to search a specific thread (like this thread)?

Thanks

Alex

• Hello

Can someone one tell me if the vibration is ok? When I activate altitude hold it seems like the copter turn motors off for a second and bring they on again.

Thanks,

acells_x_y_z.png

2013-02-22 13-27 1.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692629808?profile=original
  • I had very curious crash the other day. Posted in the forum as-well, but got no answers. The post is here.

It would be helpful, if anyone could shed some light in how to detect compass mis-calibration from logs. I would really like to know why it crashed.   

This reply was deleted.

Activity