Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Para,

In the standard params list in the mission planner there should be a LOG_BITMASK parameter.  So that can be set to Default+IMU.

• anyone tried a FLIP on AC3.1.5 rc1.

• Hi Oliver,

The 3.s is a beta so expect issue but enjoy new functionalities cq flight modes, don't use the first rc candidates on your multi million machines.

@Randy,

When can we see 3.2 rc1 online again in MP?

• So in local discussion the following question came up: Given a "normal" size Pixhawk quad presently running decently under 3.1.x. how much risk would be involved in going now to 3.2 rcX Beta IF it is flown by a pilot capable of manual flight, and IF it is flown only in stabilize, alt-hold and loiter modes, and only in mild to moderate fashion?

I ask because if this is reasonably safe I'd rather be fine-tuning for precision on 3.2 than be essentially wasting time fine-tuning 3.1X while waiting for a general release of 3.2. My thinking is that perhaps any potentially fatal sorts of issues with these most basic flight modes would necessarily be addressed early on, and if that's correct I have no problem simply not using modes or features that might still be shaky. As opposed to waiting a longer time while problems with advanced features are being sorted out.

I would still provide feedback as appropriate, and maybe it would be useful to eventually have feedback for advanced features coming from a platform known to have particularly well dialed in basics.

• Fairly much where I'm coming from. My thoughts are that guys that can fly well enough to cope with an odd control loss should push the boundaries a little to benefit development for the guys that can't...

Martin

• I'd be more than happy to do that with an inexpensive stripped-down quad (and have done so in the past) but at the moment all my eggs are in one basket that has a lot of expensive components and a lot of build time.

• I tested the 3.2-rc1 firmware today, on an APM 2.6 equipped 600mm span quad, running FrSky PPM Sum receiver.

I flew a handling test in Stab and Loiter, then did an Auto flight through four waypoints, two of which were 'splines'.

After much flying recently on 3.1.2, release 3.2-rc1 felt very fast on roll and pitch response, but sluggish on yaw.

The pitch & roll response felt more like my Trex-500 clone actually. I could like it, but will probably reduce the rc_feel_roll_pitch parameter, and increase whatever will speed up yaw response. I don't need the quad to feel like a 3D heli :)

The Auto waypoint flight flew the mission OK, but heading out to the first waypoint the quad did some fast pitch bumps, about three in a row half way out. It flew the next two splines ok, perhaps with a couple of pitch bumps again (hard to tell at the distance away). It did a two rotation loiter circle at the last waypoint, but the circle seems to be half the diameter I expected (2x radius).

So apart from a slow yaw response (accel and decel) and some pitching irregularities it's OK so far.

Log attached.

mr.sneezy

• Try increasing ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX  . This is a new param in 3.2.

I had to bump it to at least 50000 to have something decent.

• Thanks.

I bumped it to 40000 initially from 18000 and got a better yaw response, will increase again for next test flight.

Martin

• Hi guys,

I just returned from a 3h mission of research in a wheat field... I was testing 3.2rc1 release, nicely cruising at 60m high in drift mode when the RTL engaged (was not supposed to) and the copter fall like a rock !

Finally found the copter thanks to the battery alarm !

Hope you can find what happen.

For info I was flying with 3.1 for months without any trouble.

Thanks

Pierre

2014-05-17 16-43-00.log

This reply was deleted.

Activity