Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi I have tested 3.2rc5  in alt hod suddenly drops like a rock, reviewing the log I see Err:18-2 and Err:18-0 what does it mean?

Thank you all

3701808258?profile=original

2014-08-15 16-40-15.log

• I have tested 3.2rc5. Works fine. But I can not fix AltHold Level Overshoot problem still.

Tried to use different PID settings and ATC* parameters setups but AltHold leveling overshoots are very big at hight speed flight (if rc stick is moved to 0) even when FeedForward = 0.

There was no such problem with 3.1.5.

Randy, please help me to fix it.

2014-08-16 17-18-35.log

• Leonid,

from your log, it looks like your frame is very sensitive to wind effect and brings high over/underpressure on the barometer.

This disturbance is traduced by some baro glitches but mainly by fake altitude and also high altitude variations when you're flying at high velocity and rolling/pitching at high rate (releasing stick for example)

Moreover, your problem is increased a lot by roll/pitch overshoots (when you release the stick, Roll and pitch does not follow desired_roll and desired_pitch but overshoot them by more than 30° sometimes).

I can't believe there was no issue with 3.1.5 and would like to check logs from 3.1.5 (if you have) with same tests and compare the baro and altitude behaviours. Maybe your copter is more responsive with 3.2 and that increases the alt_drop effect.

• I have no logs from Pixhawk 3.1.5 (I used it just 2 days), but I have logs from APM2.5 3.1.5 at this copter (the same HW config).

AltDrop effect is not problem for me. After placing APM or Pixhawk to the cover box - there is no AltDrop problem. I do not use cover box for tests.

2014-07-05 16-58-32.log

• Developer

ArduCopter 3.2-rc5 is now available through the Mission Planner’s Beta Firmware link.  Changes from 3.2-rc4 are:

1) Pixhawk's max num waypoints increased to 718

2) Smoother take-off in AltHold, Loiter, PosHold (including removing initial 20cm jump when taking off)

3) ACRO mode roll, pitch, yaw EXPO added for faster rotation when sticks are at extremes (see ACRO_EXPO parameter)

4) ch7/ch8 relay option replaces ch6 option (ch6 is reserved for tuning not switching things on/off)

5) Safety Items:

a) Baro glitch check relaxed to 5m distance, 15m/s/s max acceleration

b) EKF/INav check relaxed to 80cm/s/s acceleration correct (default remains as 0.6 but this now means 80cm/s/s)

c) When GPS or Baro glitch clears, the inertial nav velocities are *not* reset reducing chance of sudden vehicle lean

d) Baro altitude calculation checked for divide-by-zero and infinity

6) Bug Fixes:

a) AltHold jump bug fixed (altitude target reset when landed)

b) Rally point bug fix so it does not climb excessively before flying to rally point

c) body-frame rate controller z-axis bug fix (fast rotation in z-axis would cause wobble in roll, pitch)

7) disabled compass learn to save 1k of flash (APM2 is extremely low)

All feedback more than welcome!

There will be an –rc6 which will include hopefully just some TradHeli changes and addition of A/V frame quads.

• Ran a mission on my hex using a PixHawk with 224 mission commands (waypoints) to do a spherical panorama with 5 rows and 10 columns. Worked fine, no problems.

• Hi, I flashed rc5 on my apm 3.1 (2.6 mini) and the external I I2C led stopped working, was fine on rc4.

Cheers! Mike.
      • Just in case of a hardware fault I rolled back to 3.1.5 and the LED is functioning again.

Anybody any thoughts of what this maybe?

• Developer

Mike,

Ah, we removed support for the external I2C led for the APM2 to save 1k of flash space because we are critically low (it wouldn't load on the board at all).  I didn't realise that anyone had actually realised that the I2C led worked on the APM2.

This reply was deleted.

Activity