Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My copter have some jumps while moving up or down in alt-hold or loiter. When I move it up by hand in loiter It get back with some jumps like a ball.

What parameters should I set ?

Throttle Rate P, Throttle Accel P, Throttle Accel I or Throttle Althold P ?
    • Developer

Leonid,

Can you try reducing the Throttle Rate to 5.0, Throttle Accel P to 0.5 and I to 1.0?

• Just very strange:

Mission planner 1.3.9.2 build 1.1.5364.33279

Aircraft: hexacopter (6 motors)

PixHawk flight controller. 3.2-rc7

In Mission Planner advance Params:

PWMCount(BRD_PWM_Count)

[Four PWMs]

As it is a six motors aircraft, I was wondering why only four PWM are used!?

Thank you in advance.

Henri

• Developer

Henri,

I believe this controls how many of the auxiliary outputs on the back of the pixhawk are PWM (the rest become relays).  Yet another undocumented feature!  I'll add it to the wiki somewhere, maybe on the Relay or Servo pages.

• I flashed rc7 back onto my TBS Disco. I wanted to try the auto tune again. I took off in stabilize and flew a little bit. Checked alt hold and loiter modes were working good. Flipped it back to alt hold and proceeded with auto tune. It finished the auto tune with no issues what so ever. I decided to land in alt hold with the auto tune switch still on so I could disarm and save the settings. 

This is where it got a little strange. I landed and with the throttle all the way down the props spooled down and all but stopped they all of a sudden spooled back up with the throttle still all the way down. I tried to disarm it and it was floating on the ground doing 360 degree rotations. I flipped it to stabilize and it all settled and disarmed. 

Maybe I am doing it wrong by landing in alt hold with auto tune switch still on or if it may be a bug. I have the log attached if anyone would like to take a look at it. I believe it was around the 3 to 4 minute mark where I landed after the auto tune. I did rearm and flew around and it flies great. Current roll pitch rates are at 8.625. I may have to tone it down once I get the gimbal back on.

2014-09-09 19-27-13.log

• This happened to me many times even on 3.1.5. When I land, especially if I land in a different altitude as take off, and I move the yaw full left to disarm, my quad's motors spin up not enough to life, but enough to tilt it. Sometimes hitting the ground and damaging props. It seems like it doesn't realize it's landed and tries to yaw instead of disarming.

My workaround was to switch to stabilize immediately after it landed and then disarm it.

• Developer

Hugo, Andrei,

So what happens normally (I haven't seen your exact log of course so I'm extrapolating a bit) is the impact of hitting the ground slightly upsets the inertial navigation system and it thinks it's falling at a higher speed than it really is.  It takes a while for it to get over it and realise it's actual descent speed.  The landing detector won't accept that it's landing unless that descent speed is between +- 30cm/s.  So the faster-than-reality descent speed it thinks it sees after the impact stops the landing detector from recognizing the landing for a bit.  We tried to make it a little more relaxed with the slightly disastrous results we saw with -rc6.

• Hi Randy,

Thanks for replying. Yes, Agree with Andrei that it's best to have a slight mishap on the ground that a huge one in the sky. You guys did great on changing the landing detector.

Another workaround I've been using lately: I have my channel 7 as LAND. Once it lands and you bring the throttle down, you can easily disarm.

• I had such issue only once, and yeah, it was after hard landing. I tried to disarm during 10-20 seconds in PosHold and switched to stabilize. Anyway, it is better to has issue on ground than on air.

• Yes, to rework a popular cliche: Better to be on the ground thinking you're in the air, than in the air thinking you're on the ground.

;)

This reply was deleted.

Activity