Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another test :

hexa tarot  680, pixhawk, AC3.2rc7, droidplanner2

"FOLLOW ME"

feature follow me was awesome and much better from ac3.1. smooth.

but one think i notice, is there any parameter to change the "follow me" speed ?

see video, i drove my car speed around 35-40km/h my copter too slow.

• I am not sure what is best FORUM to reply to newest 3.2 r10 update findings  for PIXHAWK , I  posted my problems here : http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9788&p=2361... , but I see this discussion is up to date with all newest release problems.

second question:

new firmware  release for PIXHAWK comes with 2 files : *v1.px4 and *v2.px4 , cant find why are there 2 files instead of 1 ?

I loaded v2 only because v1 gave me some errors about identifying boards before firmware upload.

• Hi Randy
    I have tried 3.2 RC10 on my TBS Disco and QAV500 yesterday and today, so glad that they fly perfectly in mode Stab, Loiter, Poshold. Even in strong wind (30 km/h) loiter Mode was so stable. As a noobie I just fly LOS in short distance with hard bank to left and righ on hight speed, feel locked-in in my setup. RTL also working good with 100cm dist from home point.

The only problem is when I check logs I got confuse beetween TBS and QAV logs because there is no name tag or whatever to recon those two logs. It is nice maybe if we can put title/name in parameter setting rather than remembering the logs time stamp.

Thanks for great work
    Yana
  • Last night I got 3.2 to work nicely on my trad heli.  A few problems.  

1. In 3.1.4. if I shut off my radio, it would default to RTL (because my Futaba tx/rx were setup to send that signal as failsafe).  Now it won't change the mode to match my Futaba failsafe.

2. You can see in the video when flying spline, it jumps a little when it hits a waypoint.  Is that normal?

3. When using the minim OSD,  with some custom code that worked on 3.1.4.. On 3.2, the OSD freezes when I switch into auto or loiter and needs a hard reset.

I fixed my lagging heading problem by changing yaw behavior from 3 to 1.  Now my splines look sweet.  This video is full auto from takeoff to land. http://youtu.be/ZSiM43sHF-k

• I tuned down the shakes and now the splines are much smoother.  I've isolated the OSD problem to a bug in the OSD code, but still need to find the bug.

• Hi all together,

today i was trying AC3.2 rc10 on my quad. But i finished with disapointment - quad could not fly more than 3-5 seconds.

Started OK in stab mode, GPS lock OK. But when i lifted it aprox. 50cm above ground it started to loose response - like each RC channel was still more and more supressed.  I guess it didn't happen suddenly but the loosing was graduated within time interval of 5 second. After that quad descend down and hit the ground bit hard. Fortunately not damages.

Now the questions and facts:

Whole initial procedure performed (compas, accels, RC calibrated)

Battery full loaded

I flown quad with ACM 3.1.5 with no problems - was very smooth and i was really happy with it.

Have no logs, because i compiled ACM 3.2rc10 without logging - hoped to lighten the control loop.

Now i compiled it with logs enabled, log mask set to 2046:

MASK_LOG_ATTITUDE_MED          
    MASK_LOG_GPS                   
    MASK_LOG_PM                    
    MASK_LOG_CTUN                  
    MASK_LOG_NTUN                  
    MASK_LOG_RCIN                  
    MASK_LOG_IMU                   
    MASK_LOG_CMD                   
    MASK_LOG_CURRENT               
    MASK_LOG_RCOUT                 

Not sure if IMU is necessary for further analyse, but i turned in on too.
    Could be the problem i'm using still APM 1.x with Arduino 2560?

• Randy,

I just loaded RC10 on my Pixhawk H Quad.  So far its a complete fail.

When I loaded RC10, Mission planner indicates that the compass is not calibrated, (as well as the ever present AHRS failure that has been here for a bunch of RC's) so I did the compass calibration dance - just as I have done dozens of times with MP and this exact quad.  It completes with 3 offsets all less than 30.  Great.

But I can't arm because MP says "prearm compasses are inconsistent".... I have re-done the compass calibration and gotten the exact same result... Help this is a complete fail.

this is all 3DR hardware and has flown as is for nearly a year...

compass 2 has readings with exponents to 7th or 8th power... somebody missed something in the cal code.

compass offsets WTF.docx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702521504?profile=original
      • had similar problems, Randy recommends power cycling the pixhawk after the firmware upload and only than attempt all the calibrations. works for me except bad_ahrs  never gets away. 

• Artem,

Many thanks.  I successfully got through the compass cal.

However, I will point out that the offsets for the internal compass are around 1000. (ridiculously high) 

Steve

This reply was deleted.

Activity