Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

@Paul,

It was a safety issue.  Because of telemetry delays this kind of thing could happen:

a) vehicle is flying in guided mode receiving position updates from tablet

b) something goes wrong (GPS glitch), user switches to alt-hold mode on the transmitter to re-take manual control.  At the same time the tablet has sent an updated position request.

c) transmitter mode change is processed first and vehicle momentarily goes into alt-hold

d) tablet position request is processed next, flight mode is changed back to guided

So the user has tried to re-take control but has been unable to.

It's really straightforward for the tablets to send a set-mode-to-guided request before they start streaming position requests and I've warned Arthur and Kevin of this change and I'm actually very surprised that it hasn't been incorporated.  There should be no need for the user to set the flight mode to guided.

Could you raise an issue with the DroidPlanner developers here?  Andropilot is here.

If you have a log around that also might help.

Thor, Thanks for the feedback.  that's helpful.

• Hi,

I cannot see the parameter I added using this explanation

http://dev.ardupilot.com/wiki/code-overview-adding-a-new-parameter/

although It compiles just fine !

• Developer

Itay,

This sounds like a development question, can you instead email the drones-discuss@googlegroups.com?

• hi all,

i found cause of big offsets of pixawk 

who have very large offsets (above 500) - try to unscrew the steel screw in corner near connector  ADC6.6V

• I agree but to fix it yourself just heat the screw and you can also heat the screw driver. That should help alot if not fix it.
    • Thx Alexey, now my internal compass is actually usable :) less than 200. But I think rhis makes my pixhawk board movable inside the case, I will try to find a non-ferrous version of the screws and replace them all.
      • Heat the screws with a blow torch, lighter, etc until they glow and after they cool down, re-screw them with a non magnetic screw driver.

The problem comes from that we normally use screw drivers with a magnetic point and that magnetizes the screws causing the problem.

The above sugestion fixed my walkera 350 pro compass having offsets bigger than 150 and also to fix the pixhawk.

• lol, in my case those were some guys in China using a magnetic screw driver, I remember clearly that the screw in question would stick to my cheap non-magnetized screw driver on its own... 

maybe it is worth to let 3DR know that they should advise their hardware partners NOT to use magnetic screw drivers while assembling pixhawks. 

• Developer

This is an interesting find!  I've checked with 3DR and "as of 2 week ago" the 3DR assembly guys were not using magnetic screwdrivers on the Pixhawk case.  If it's a clone board (sounds like it is) then there's really no relationship with 3DR and somehow someone would need to get hold of the manufacturer to pass on that info.

This reply was deleted.

Activity