Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nope, nothing was changed in the EKF tree. I fly a large tricopter 6s with 15" props, and 450 size V quad with pixhawks.

for generally good flying make sure you do compass calibration every time you change literally anything on a copter, like changing gimbals, changing the place of your FPV gear, antennas etc... also, it is better to be outside and away from metal objects when doing compass calibrations. 

• What about changing locations? I asked Randy but I think he didn't see my post, do you do compass calibration when you change flying places?

BTW I did like 10 successful 10min+ flights this weekend in a different location where I did my compass calibration and it flew perfect, I'm finishing my yaw tuning but my tbs discovery it's flying like never before :D

• Developer

I agree with Artem.  There should be no need to re-do the compass calibration when you move to a new location.  It is necessary when you change the orientation or location of the compass on the copter, replace the compass itself or add metal bits to the frame.

• So, when I add FPV to the copter I have to redo compass cal? I frecuently change cameras to my copter, that can affects the compass? Thank's 

• some pilot cams have metal cases, I have a camera which has plastic case, but its mounting bracket is metal, so yes anytime you add any metal parts or change position of the current metal parts you should redo your compass calibration. 

• If you put a magnetometer app on your phone/tablet and hold it a similar distance between your compass and your camera you can see just how much effect it has. I suggest one that displays field strength in uT for 3 axis rather than just a compass. It can be used to check out how magnetic your tools are too.
                  • Thank's for advertise; I'm waiting a metal case camera for FPV.

• MR60

Even your camera in a plastic case will influence the magnetic field (your camera electronics has an impact on EM fields), so yes it is best to redo compass calibration.

• no, not really unless you are traveling 200-300 miles...  but i found out that it does affect my compass calibration when I added the gimbal and relocated the flightcam. 

• Randy,

Another Log from 3.2 rc12 on Tarot 650 quad with following specs:

APM 2.5 (no external mag)

SunnySky 4110S-25 340KV motors

HK Multistar 45amp ESC running SimonK firmware

Props - 16x5.5 CF

Battery: 6S 5000mAh Zi[ppy Lipo 

Was flying in AltHld mode when suddenly quad just started assending on its own.  Please check out the log file and advise...

Video: http://youtu.be/GSmQVkWbWJ8

Uncommanded increase in throttle.jpg

2014-10-11 16-15-34.log

This reply was deleted.

Activity