Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, I was surprised at this first as well. But it seems the command line interface was removed in the APM 3.2 release due to flash memory constraints. Several critical functions, such as log management, motor test, compass motor calibration, etc were replaced by GUI functions in Mission Planner instead.

Make sure you have the latest beta version of Mission Planner itself (in MP, check Beta Updates in Config/Tuning->Planner and then restart MP to allow it to check for updates) to match 3.2 rc2. You should find them under Flight Data, and the Dataflash Logs tab! 

Hope that helps

• Hello
    a mighty crash of 2600 meters.
    Pixhawk 3.2RC2 mission with waypoints spline last command RTL
    before DO-Jump WP 12 after the command do-jump to reach the copter was no longer to control. switch to RTL, Loiter. Stabilize and EKF, as well as turn off the transmitter has brought no response.
    the copter I had already given up on him, crash after 14 minutes about 30 meters from the start.

I think it is a fault in the do-jump command.

I do not know what caused it. 'm already flown missions with this version without problems,
    the configuration spline WP and Do-jump I had not previously been tested.

'm grateful for any help

LOGS

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qimdohk3oflvh5y/AAD3GHDNIIYXOeLH8Os2sH8ga

Dropbox - Link not found
    Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
    • Rainer,

I only see a big climb followed by a gentle descent. There is a crash error message, but only after it reaches down (safely?). Maybe the wrong log?

Mihai

• Hello
        a gentle descent with an empty battery is not possible.
        the copter out of control.
        the log is OK

• I see a typo, I do jump would. WP12 on the WP2.
      but why the loss of control?

• RX Failsafe set correctly on RX and APM ??

• Looks like some awesome improvements on the way, and I'm especially excited about Drift mode with altitude control.

If you have sonar installed will it be used here? 

• Have been testing 3.2rc2 on my Tricopter for a couple of flights. I can conclude following: Stabilize is just fine, AltHold as well! Hybrid and Drift mode is showing real promise, but

1. I have real problems with "toilet bowling" during Hybrid. Today, I did a very short initial test, and concluded the problem remains even after re-calibrating compass. I have rised the APM away from power cabling approx 40mm, typical total amp is 15-20 Amps 50-60mm under the APM. I will run the analysis, but I had Loiter working fine with less distance on 3.1.4 before. In the attached log, there is a short duration of Hybrid mode after takeoff in Stabilize, then AltHold, then Hybrid. I flipped back to AltHold after a few seconds to prevent it from spinning out of control in circles. I will reflash with 3.1.5 and re-test as soon as I get good weather again.

2. Drift mode is really really slow at turning with default settings. Someone else wrote it took 12 seconds, and I have to concur with this. I didn't time it, but making a 180 degree turn takes a LOT of space and patience. Forward/back pitch speed is fine. Apart from that, the idea is great! Is there any parameter we can tune for now, or just wait for rc3?

In the attached log, I performed an Autotune that successfully completed in about 5 minutes. After landing and disarming, accepting the new PID settings, I armed and took off again. After approx 3 more minutes flight, battery failsafe kicked in. The battery was getting low at 10.5V (3S) and I had drained appox 1950mAh from the 2200mAh battery (yes, current and voltage sensor has been calibrated), but still should have had power left to land at this stage. Instead, the copter went straight down in the ground at a sharp angle. Any ideas?

2014-06-02_21-34.zip

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701750296?profile=original
    • Hi Roger,

Thanks for testing!

actually, 1950 is already more than the higher limit of energy you can drain from a 2200 battery. If you want to preserve them in time, don't exceed 1850-1900.

About toilet bowling, please run a compassmot procedure and check the level of compensation.

I had an issue due to a disturbed compass on my first copter and every controlled flight modes were affected (especially loiter)

From the part of the attached log related to hybrid, we can see that hybrid quickly entered in the loiter submode (you should have released sticks) and then the loiter worked well to stay at current position.

But, from line 3000 to 3700, the position error keeps increasing whereas it was close to 0 before.

Roll/Pitch/Yaw are controlled properly so I guess this is a sensor error, especially compass as GPS is just perfect.

Julien

• Thanks for the quick reply! Here's a compass/mot calibration I did just now. Maybe not completely stellar, but well below the max 30% recommended value? Do you still believe this to explain the toilet bowling?3702653835?profile=original

I have an external compass board on order, so I will install that as soon as I get it. But, I was running the APM board closer to the main power wiring on 3.1.4, with most certainly worse interference than now, and Loiter and RTL was working really really well.

Thanks for the advise on battery capacity. I have changed settings to a more conservative reserve of 400mAh capacity and 10.5V level to activate battery fail-safe modes now.

This reply was deleted.

Activity