Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i just tried compiling, and I got a verification error:

I posted here so that if others run in to the issue, it's more easily digestible when found on a search engine.

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/1157

I believe, based on https://github.com/MegaPirateNG/ardupilot-mpng/issues/134, that it may be that my APM 2.6 has run out of memory. 
    Can anyone else confirm?

• confirmed. I removed everything from AP_Motors_Quad.cpp that I didn't need.... and it flashed.
      :-\

What do we do?
      What do we decide what features go forward with the APM?
      How do we restrict certain features to the APM or other platforms?

• could it be that I have too many logs left on my APM?

• Guys, has Mission Planner caught up with the flight modes available in 3.2 yet ?

The reason I ask is that Hybrid mode is not being reported correctly in the flight status screen. 

Martin

• Motor Mixing in VTail Quad configuration has rear-motors backwards.

We want the motor layout to mimic that of the X-Quad, however, in order to get it to fly, you need to swap the rear motors (2 and 4).

Otherwise it just yaws like crazy.

• I opened a pull requset for this: https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/pull/1148

I think the original swap done by whomever merged in the code was maybe due to thinking the tail was an A rather than a V? idk.

the V is inverted motors. :-)

A is normal, upright motors - which is what the VTail mixing would have worked with prior to this change.

So.. should we also have an ATail mixing?

• Developer

NullVox,

That'll be my fault for messing it up as part of the merge.  I'll merge your pull request after we get through the AVC competition this weekend.

• It's all good. It took me a while to realize you may have been think A-Shaped VTail (rather than a V-Shaped VTail), like what Flite Test made a video and sells parts for. 

In my PR, I've added support for both types of Tails. :-)

• Success using DO_SET_SERVO and DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL using 3.2

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get a waypoint sequence (see below) to work for doing panorama photography on my new PixHawk and Hexacopter build. Turns out there's something missing/broken in ArduCopter 3.1.1 through 3.1.5 for PixHawk because it skips right over the DO_SET_SERVO and DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL commands and only executes the WAYPOINT commands. When I tried 3.2 it worked just fine! #.2 looks very promissing for doing some high altitude, high resolution panoramas, I'm looking forward to the final release.

A tabletop waypoint test of pitch control of the camera gimbal (using RC9 as a PWM ) and shutter release (using RC11 as a relay) works fine in ArduCopter 3.2 using the following sequence on my kitchen table:

WAYPOINT 0,0,0, no wait

DO_SET_SERVO 9, 1500

WAYPOINT 0,0,0, 2 second wait (waiting for gimbal to complete pitch move)

DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL

WAYPOINT 0,0,0, no wait

The same sequence using the same configuration options did not work on 3.1.5, 3.1.4, 3.1.2 or 3.1.1.! At that point I gave up trying to go backwards to older versions since WAYPOINT 0,0,0 seemed to be pointing it to somewhere in the South Atlantic.

This reply was deleted.

Activity