Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Experienced some weird behavior with rc4 & pixhawk. Upgraded from rc2, re-calibrated compass - went to take off in althold, and the copter went full throttle. I attached a log, my thr_in was ~50%, and the thr_out goes to 100%. Small crash, luckily only 1 prop. 

Next 3 batteries I took off in stab, then switched to althold and had zero problems. 

Before this incident, I flew an APM 2.6 upgraded to rc4 (from rc2) and it had zero problems, even taking off in althold from the first try.

Will wait for some feedback before trying to take off in althold again..

2014-08-01 19-03-59.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701798789?profile=original
    • Developer

Raph,

Thanks.  This is the 2nd report I've received of this this morning so we must have an issue.

I'll put a warning above and everyone please avoid taking off in AltHold, Loiter or PosHold until we find and fix it!

• Randy,

Not sure if related but in RC2 if I did this I could get it to happen

Take off (mode:hybrid)

land (hybrid)

stopped motors  (mode:hybrid)

did not disconnect battery or reset, started motors and took off again, barely touch throttle and it shot up like full throttle (mode:hybrid)

I have been to scared to try it again in RC3/4 :-)

Ed,

• That is interesting indeed.. 

Randy, I've been taking off in Acro with no issues so far.  More good flying today on RC4, will get some videos and logs to you this weekend.

Josh

• Developer

Josh,

Yes, taking off in ACRO, Stabilize and Drift should be fine.  It's just these three modes: AltHold, Loiter, PosHold .. and probably Sport that have issues.

Txs for testing!

• Randy,

tested RC4 on Pixhawk in Quad X-Config:

Stab:OK

Althold:OK, also take off, land, feedback works well

PosHold:OK, also take off, land and feedback

Drift:OK, but only for 2 turns in one direction. After 2 turns yaw control is fully lost. doesn't matter if CW or CCW. Yaw has nice response now.

There are a lot of error messages in the log file. Could you kindly have a look?

2014-08-01 18-55-25.zip

• Tricopter OK

• Developer

thank you very much for the feedback!

• Developer

ArduCopter 3.2-rc4 is now available through the MissionPlanner’s Beta Firmware’s link.

The changes are in the ReleaseNotes but they’re also listed below.  Hopefully there will only be one more release candidate (-rc5) before the final release so one of the important things I’d like to hear is that AC3.2 has been tested with all the frame types.  There are a few that we don’t see tested a lot so if anyone out there has tested these I’d really like to hear back with a “it’s ok” or “not looking good”.
    1.    TriCopters
    2.    OctaCopter
    3.    TradHeli

Changes from 3.2-rc3
    1) Pre-takeoff throttle feedback in AltHold, Loiter, PosHold
    2) Terrain altitude retrieval from ground station (informational purposes only so far, Pixhawk only)
    3) Safety Items:
        a) "EKF check" will switch to LAND mode if EKF's compass or velocity variance over 0.6 (configurable with EKFCHECK_THRESH param)
           When EKF is not used inertial nav's accelerometer corrections are used as a substitute
        b) Barometer glitch protection added. BAROGLTCH_DIST and BAROGLTCH_ACCEL parameters control sensitivity similar to GPSGLITCH protection
           When glitching occurs barometer values are temporarily ignored
        c) Throttle/radio and battery failsafes now disarm vehicle when landed regardless of pilot's throttle position
        d) auto-disarm extended to Drift, Sport and OF_Loiter flight modes
        e) APM2 buzzer notification added for arming failure
        f) APM2 arming buzz made longer (now matches Pixhawk)
        g) do-set-servo commands cannot interfere with motor output
    4) Bug Fixes:
        a) Drift slow yaw response fixed
        b) AC3.2-rc3 failsafe bug resolved. In -rc3 the throttle failsafe could be triggered even when disabled or motors armed (although vehicle would not takeoff)

• Flew with 3.2RC4 FW on F450 in X config.  EKF was set to Ch8 and turned on (throughout).  Feed Forward was enabled.  BAROGLTCH_DIST was adjusted to 500 per previous post here.  Auto tuned, Stabilize, AltHold, PosHold, Simple/Super Simple, Sport, Loiter, RTL.  Max distance 548 Ft., Max Alt. 259 Ft. I have a spike in INAVError about halfway through in the logs, but I didn't perceive any in-flight problems.  If there is cause for concern, I can post the logs. No ERR, 16 or 17 in the logs.

This reply was deleted.

Activity