Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

GocGoc,

Thanks for the report.  We think this was caused by some outdated params descriptions which has been fixed by this commit.  I'm unsure how long it will take for DroneShare to pick up the new ranges but hopefully not too long.

• never mind in found it but apparently it doesnt analyze Andropilot TLOG files but the MOVIE tool is very nifty!! 

• Hi Randy i have also joined Drone Share and was wondering where this log Analysis link would be on that site? i dont see it?

• Did anyone noticed that pixhawk gets warm near the big led over time? Also, barometer is right on the other side of the pcb near the led, it gets warm too. Is there a mechanism to compensate pressure changes vs pcb temp?
    • Good point!

One way to test the Barometer is see if the "altitude" changes from a cool start until 30 minutes later, while sitting on the ground, in the sun.

If this the part:
      Pressure Sensor - MS5611-01BA03
      If so see:
      http://www.meas-spec.com/product/pressure/MS5611-01BA03.aspx

Temperature
      Min  Typ   Max   Unit
      Range
      -40            +85     °C
      Resolution
       <0.01  °C
      Accuracy
      -0.8           +0.8     °C

Absolute Accuracy
      at 25°C 
      -0.8            +0.8 
      at 20..85°C
      -0.2           +2.0
      at 40..85°C
      -4.0           +4.0

NOTE: Every module is individually factory calibrated at two temperatures and two pressures. As a result, 6 coefficients necessary to compensate for process variations and temperature variations are calculated and stored in the 128-bit PROM of each module.

• Use Pixhawk External LED http://store.3drobotics.com/products/pixhawk-peripheral-kit

The internal LED will be OFF, no heat & light inside pixhawk case

• Hello,

I had a near crash this afternoon followed by a hard one with my Cinetank on APM & AC 3.2-rc7. Here are videos of the events and the logs.

What happened ? A hardware issue ? In both case the quad tumbled down. In the first case it was high enough and stabilized itself (I think I switched to stabilize but I cant see that in the log). In the second one, it was just after I switched to auto to start a mission.

Thanks for looking my logs

2014-09-07 17-46-27.bin

2014-09-07 18-01-40.bin

• Developer

Bravojul,

Thanks for testing and the report.  It looks like a mechanical failure of some sort.  In particular if you look at the bottom graph you can see the sudden uncommanded Roll (i.e. Roll does not track Desired Roll).  This happens while the throttle is at full and the vehicle is at full throttle which is certainly a little hard on the motors and I imagine is a time when it's more likely to fail.

3702516432?profile=originalAlso the pitch control doesn't look too good during the flight.  There's a persistent offset of about 7 degrees that last for a couple of minutes.  I'm not sure of the exact cause, it could be a bad center of gravity (is the vehicle nose heavy?). Increasing the Rate Pitch IMAX from 500 to 1000 would be good.3702516563?profile=originalBy the way, the failure in Auto mode looks very similar although when it fails the nose falls and it rolls right while in the first crash it nosed up slightly and rolled left.  It could have been a different motor/ESC that failed in each case.

• Thank you Randy for your time,

I think the quad may be a little tail heavy, not nose heavy. APM is a bit in front of the CG.

So the two events seems different to you ? There no single failure ?

BTW, there was no crash in the 2014-09-07_17-46-27.bin log, just a strange figure in the end.

The crash was in the small file: 2014-09-07_18-01-40.bin

• Developer

Bravojul,

They look similar (i.e. mechanical failures) but I don't think it's the same motor (or ESC) failing in each case.  It's hard to be sure but just from the way that it rotates, I'd guess in the 2nd log (40.bin) that it's the front right motor that fails because it leans forward and rolls right.  In the 1st log it's a bit harder to say because it only loses roll (it rolls left) so I'd guess front-left and/or back-left.  It's hard to be sure though, we don't have smart ESCs that can tell the flight controller when they're having troubles (although 3DR has a plan to make them).

Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have said "crash" for the first log file, it's a temporary loss of control and thankfully no impact.

This reply was deleted.

Activity