Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Randy. I will check this out.

• I watched your video, I'm pretty sure that your crash is due to synch problem with your motor esc or bad electric connexion of one motor /esc.

Could you please share your log?

• LOG

• Developer

@Jim Johnston,

I was wondering if you could try this modified version of -rc9 to see if it resolves the motor pulsing you've seen on your APM2?  Basically I've added back the 4hz filter on the velocity error.

ArduCopter-3.2-rc9-altfilter-APM2Quad <-- APM2 quadcopter

ArduCopter-3.2-rc9-altfilter-APM2Hexa<-- APM2 hexacopter

In case anyone is interested, this is the exact branch I'm using for this version.

Sorry, again slightly bad behaviour for me to release interim versions between the release candidates but I'm not quite ready with -rc10 and also I don't want to make this change for all immediately in case it doesn't fix the problem.

• Randy,

Just had a chance to try this; sorry for the delay.  I am happy to report that the motor pulsing that I saw previously is no longer present.  Please see attached log.  Am I to assume that the 4hz filter on the velocity error has been incorporated in the latest RC ? (11)

Jim

2014-10-06 13-03-33.log

• Randy,

Will do once I get a chance. Will be at least a week as our 3 year old daughter was admitted to hospital a few days ago and will be in until later this week.

Jim
  • Randy,

A few things for you to review when you have a minute.

Dropbox URL contains logs of this evening's flight. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7yzlcep21iaaj8e/AACLULPwY6eYINoAMJsvkEGp...

Running into an issue with Y6 yawing counter-clockwise.  Seems I can't tune it out.

Also noticing the copter is loosing power and touching down.  Not sure what to make of that.

Log File C:/Users/Doug Walmsley/AppData/Local/Temp/tmpF6F7.tmp.log
    Size (kb) 1676.1474609375
    No of lines 23059
    Duration 0:03:35
    Vehicletype ArduCopter
    Firmware Version V3.2-rc9
    Firmware Hash 75a1e46d
    Hardware Type
    Free Mem 0
    Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
    Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
    Test: Brownout = GOOD -
    Test: Compass = GOOD - No MAG data, unable to test mag_field interference

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
    Test: Empty = GOOD -
    Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: CRASH
    Test: GPS = GOOD -
    Test: Parameters = GOOD -
    Test: PM = GOOD -
    Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
    Test: Thrust = FAIL - Avg climb rate -75.02 cm/s for throttle avg 919
    Test: VCC = GOOD -

What am I to make of the Thrust information?

Also in the logs are the LEA-6H (GPS 1) and M8Q (GPS 2) information.

2014-09-20 Flight Test
    Shared with Dropbox
    • Developer

Doug,

Thanks for your testing by the way.

Re the GPS, the M8Q seems to be doing better, or at least it has a higher #sats and lower hdop.  Both GPSs aren't doing that great in this log though with 9 sats and hdop=1.9 for the MQ8.  The positions of the two GPSs are quite similar, they disagree by about 1m at one point but that's not too much really.  The MQ8 looks like overall it's reporting slightly less movement than the LEA-6H.  Could be it's position on the vehicle or it could be it's settings are a little different.  Anyway, the differences are pretty small.

3702519962?profile=original

• Developer

Doug,

Maybe there's a propeller on backwards or the Frame type isn't selected correctly?  The RCOUT is not appearing in the dataflash logs.  I guess the LOG_BITMASK is missing some values.  I plan to recheck the default to make sure it includes everything.

It could also be a low battery contributing to the problems.  You can see in the graph below how the throttle out suddenly climbs to 1000 (=100%).  At this point the flight controller has to make decisions about what to sacrifice.  The general priority is to sacrifice some yaw, then altitude, then the rest of yaw, then roll/pitch.

I'm pretty certain this isn't a firmware issue though.

3702519814?profile=original

-Randy

• Thanks Randy.

I'm planning to use fresher batteries to see if the battery I used is the issue.  All propellers are mounted correctly and I've been reporting that all lower motors have been over heating.  The lower motors are measuring around 130-150 F while the upper motors are holding at 85-90 F.  So I'm seeing a power loss in lift and wondering if the lower motors are no longer affectively helping to produce lift.  I will go back and ensure RCOU is enabled and will share my findings.

This reply was deleted.

Activity