Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Pomaroli,

Thanks for your testing.

I can't help much with the DroidPlanner issues but feel free to post over on the Droid Planner issues list.

• Hi Randy,
        the test i've done today were ok, Loiter, ALTHold, Stabilize, Acro, Guided Mode.
        I've was having only one problem in auto mode, the copter's heading was not to the next waypoint, seems that it holds the current heading which is on take off.
        actually the settings are default, do i have to set something ?

EKF by default is disabled, what is the benefit of EKF ?

• T3

Randy,

I made some initial tests on a slightly different copter/frame with rc10 and tested two RTL landings. The first landing was perfect but the second ended in some longer wobble before it finally disarmed. I guess the problem was that the ground was not perfectly level.

Attached you find the log.

Best regards,

Thorsten

rc10_landing_wobble.bin

• Developer

Thorsten,

Looks like it sat on the ground there for 7.3 seconds before it registered the landing.  It got close to recognising it 3 times during that 7 seconds but the overall throttle was bumping up and down around 25% and this was throwing it off.  The first landing, as you said, went much better with it registering the land in just over 1 second which is about as fast as it can ever be.  It's certainly the overall throttle level that is causing the land check to not see the landing.. on the first landing it very quickly got the throttle down to about 15% while on the 2nd one it got stuck up at about 25%.  It's not immediately clear to me why there's such a difference... but I suspect you're right that it's he slight lean of the vehicle that it's fighting against while landing.  This could be keeping the throttle a bit high as it prioritises attitude over throttle.

Thanks for the log.

• T3

Randy,

I missed your reply. Thanks!

I made serval landings since then and everything worked fine. But all were on level ground. So in most cases it should work as expected - especially since no one else reported a problem. I'll make some tests next week trying to reproduce the effect. 

• Developer

Thorsten,

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to review your log today but I'll get to it tomorrow.

• Developer

It appears that -rc11 is just a bit too big for the APM1 (on any frame type) and on the APM2, the TradHeli code isn't quite fitting.  I'll sort this out over the next day or so.  This doesn't affect the vast majority of users.

• Has there been any thought or efforts by anyone to eliminate, or make optional, features on the apm2.5 to allow the hybrid mode to be used without the restrictions? The apm2.5 flies nearly as well as the naza in alt hold and loiter and is much better in stabilze mode than naza manual mode. The apm2.5, 2.6  boards are extremely cost effective now and if it was possible to choose the features/modes you need/want and install/enable only those features, the fc would be a very competitive unit. Many people would be happy to go without some capabilities to be able to purchase a very good flight controller at a very good price.

• Harley,

I think most of features are currently available with APM 2.5. The CLI was removed on APM to save some flash and allow all the improvements of 3.2 to be accessible.

Now, you can enable/disable every feature you want by uncommenting them here

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/blob/master/ArduCopter/APM_C...

and just compile your own hex file with arduino (mind to keep the sketch size < 242kB).

The APM already fits what you describe, I only fly with it and was never restricted for the moment, I confirm it's as good as a Naza, just less "plug and play"... but that detail is very important and I'm not sure APM would be able to embed that extra logic to be really equal to Naza.

• well, it is possible, you can use whicjever modes you like and disable the others via setup accordingly.

This reply was deleted.

Activity