Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You may get a better answer from someone else but here's my guess. I've had a sync crash although not in this circumstance. My guess is the FC gave the ESC enough of a throttle blip when you switched modes to cause the sync failure. Now I always do a sync test on any new combination of ESCs and motors to be sure this is not an issue. If you have a servo tester it works best but even your transmitter will give you a pretty good idea. Strap the quad down (very securely at each motor) and power up. In stabilize mode flail the throttle on you TX and see if you can get the motors to loose sync. The servo tester will give even sharper acceleration.  

• Thank you for your reply, It does seem like a sync issue. I just cannot find another point of failure, as I have followed the WIKI to a letter, and followed all the pre-flight and setup perfectly.

We are quiet bummed about this crash. 

• Just curious and I may have forgotten, does the pixhawk read sonar or Lidar (if equipped) information when landing?

• Developer

Doug,

Yes it does but perhaps not quite as you'd expect..  You know how when landing from a high altitude it descends at about 1.5m/s (WPNAV_SPEED_DN) but then around 10m it suddenly slows to 50cm/s (LAND_SPEED)?  With a lidar attached it will reduce it's descent to the lower speed the moment it senses something below (with the lidar/sonar).  Now that you bring this up this could be a bit annoying with a 40cm lidar!  Maybe we should fix that.

• Thanks for the info. Definitely think the code should be adjusted to not start lower speed descent from 40m up would be a bit crazy. 

• Thanks Randy, I'm much more confortable now to go on with 3.2.

• Hi, I tried to make an adjustment in Loiter PID but  "HLD_LON_P " didn't set. Going to the full parameters list that item is missing. I'm using APM 2.5, latest MP and arducopter 3.2. That problem only occurs with 3.2, going back to 3.1.5 that's OK. I found the same problem reported here before but I couldn't find any comment. Does anybody know about it? Is it normal in 3.2, should I worry about it?

Tks, 

• Developer

Marcio,

If you can update HLD_LAT_P then it should be fine.  We removed the HLD_LON_P because there shouldn't be any need to have a different P value for Latitude direction correction vs Longitude.

• You were lucky you switch to Stabilize when you did.  The Throttle Out went to maximum and stayed there until you switched to Stabilize.  The vibration seems to have happened after that so I don't think that did it.

• With AC I learned a long time ago stabilize = my friend :)

It happened during pos.hold and I switched to alt.hold but that didn't help. The order of events you are saying is interesting, this would explain why vibes were only on the Zaxis. Will double check again, but would definatelly appreciate a reply either from Randy or one of the devs involved in pos.hold.  

This reply was deleted.

Activity